+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Champions the plug of choice?

Default New plugs are in!!

Thanks for the info. Just installed a new set of Magnecor wires, along with a pair of DCPR9EVs this evening. Really nice to have the 5/8" plug wrench size again. Was able to get them threaded and tightened up just swell. Just somewhat bummed about pulling the Nology wires off. They look cool....Too bad (I think) they weren't working....Will let you know if this combo has smoothed the motor out....Wasn't running anywhere as smooth as what I thought it should be...
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    I now pick up any Champions QA55V's that I can when they become available at a good price.

Steve R
    Having had the RA59C (from Ducati) in my hand i know it was a 5/8s-16mm socket size. I also know the the NGK plugs currently installed on my 851 are 18mm and a bugger to get out from the horizontal cylinder, at least for me. 2 Champion websites, list the 59C and the QA55V as hex head size 11/16 or 18mm. Is that not the case from those using them? the last thing I want is another 18mm plug that I can't get to.

Default QA55V's

Quote Originally Posted by fstntq View Post
    Having had the RA59C (from Ducati) in my hand i know it was a 5/8s-16mm socket size. I also know the the NGK plugs currently installed on my 851 are 18mm and a bugger to get out from the horizontal cylinder, at least for me. 2 Champion websites, list the 59C and the QA55V as hex head size 11/16 or 18mm. Is that not the case from those using them? the last thing I want is another 18mm plug that I can't get to.

I've just put in QA55V's (about 14 each from Aral in Holland) using 16mm plug socket for my 93 888

Quote Originally Posted by border888 View Post
    I've just put in QA55V's (about 14 each from Aral in Holland) using 16mm plug socket for my 93 888
    Had the eye opening experience of paying $32 per plug for the 59s at my dealer. (before I knew better). Fellow next to me actually paid $100 each for what I think were the QA55s. Thanks to this list I fund the QVs stateside for $8each actually a bit cheaper than the 59s at the same site.

www.sparkplugs.co.uk have them for 4.70 inc. VAT

I remember buying the factory OEM replacement Champions back in 1993 for $20 US, and they had to be imported from Italy. My neighbors sure were happy when I finally received them. That meant I could stop "burning" the bad plug clean by riding around the neighborhood at 8000 rpm with my burned out Ferracci CF mufflers. Ah, to be 26 again.....
    Scott S
    '92 851 Strada
    '99 996 Biposto
    '63 250 Monza

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmith View Post
    I remember buying the factory OEM replacement Champions back in 1993 for $20 US, and they had to be imported from Italy. My neighbors sure were happy when I finally received them. That meant I could stop "burning" the bad plug clean by riding around the neighborhood at 8000 rpm with my burned out Ferracci CF mufflers. Ah, to be 26 again.....
    Finally got the NGKs (with the 18mm hex) out. Not that they ran poorly but I did not like the PITA it would be to change plugs with that big a socket in the narrow towers. Got a set of the QVs delivered for about $22. (www.sparkplugs.com). Bike seemed to run ~5%C cooler but I could not tell if it was the plugs or the coolant flush. No cleaning the plugs with 8K RPM flybys as the bike has the competition megaphones and they are pretty loud!

i have some newbie questions…
    the QA55V's make sense in a stock 851 89' used on public roads or are they just for prepped bikes and race use?
    is there any modification needed or can i just buy and plug them in. i noticed they don't have a side electrode (at least on the pic at sparkplug.co.uk) and would 16mm be the correct hex?

thanks for enlighten me
    Last edited by Toni851; 05-04-2017 at 10:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread