+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Champions the plug of choice?

Default Champions the plug of choice?

As you may have seen in my previous post I have new Magnecor wires on their way to hopefully fix my rough running motor. With that info,would like to know how many of you run Champion plugs (OEM fitment) or are their many of you who tend to be NGK folks? I tend to run Iridiums in every other bike I own, and they all run smoother....
    Guess we could turn this into a poll....
    Always asking questions!
    Pat

no expert, but i put D9evx in mine.

I like NGK. Mr.R and others seem to like the Champion suface gap plugs.

I've been a BIG fan of NGK's for close to 30 years, which's around the time that I gave up on Champions,
    I did run NGK DCPR9E's in my 851 and was quite happy with them, I tried the Platinum tipped variety but didn't notice any difference by my seat of the pants dyno, or any improvement in start up or low down running.

But a few years ago I got hold of a set of Champion QA55V Surface discharge Race plugs for very little money, (they were the recommended fitment for the 916SP/SPS's) they used to cost a small fortune from Ducati!!
    I tried them in my mildly tuned 851/916 for a dyno day, as there isn't any need to work out what gap to use as there isn't one...
    They've been fantastic, they last a long while and I've never had any problems with them, unlike the Champions of yesteryear.

I now need to remove the larger Corse radiator to change the front plug on my bike, but I still now fit the QA55V's as I'm that confident in them.
    A couple of weeks ago I set off on a round trip of close to 1,500 miles for my annual IOM TT holiday, the thought of having to drain the coolent system to change a plug whilst away isn't something I'd relish, but I still went with the Champions.

I now pick up any Champions QA55V's that I can when they become available at a good price.

Steve R

Yes, the QA55V works very well, but don't pay eBay prices. Cheapest I have found them is here..

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pr...asp?offset=200

3.80 each plus VAT and postage.

Mike

Nice one Mike at that price I'll be ordering at least 10.
    Over 10 years ago Ducati wanted 25 each for them.

Steve R

Now that is a good deal.Last time I bought some,they were over 10+ each!! In fact I think Mr R bought some off me too.

Nice link.Thanks.

i use NGK DCPR9EVX in the 4v motors. C is for small hex size.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

The shop uses NGK, because they do the job and are reasonably priced. Can't say I've heard of a failure.

Griff

+ Reply to Thread