+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another NC road

Default Another NC road

Here's a link to another of our roads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD7nIZx7_M0
    This was done by a friend who just bought a new 750 GIXXER, using his cell phone.
    This road is about 4 miles from my home, have been riding it for about 25 years, (never noticed how many homes, etc. are on the side of it before!). He's going down, I like going up it much better ! :-) It's hard to see the altitude drop but it drops about 1800 ft., the video stops about half way down. It's early Spring so you can see the difference in the vegetation as he goes down.
    I usually ride this road about once a week. Unfortunately it is about to go down, see the same demise as Deals Gap. The owner of a restaurant at the top of the hill is advertising it as the new Deals Gap. There are photographers there every Sunday, all the squids have now found it. Before long some of them will be killed, the home owners on the road will complain, the speed limit will be posted at 35 mph, cops will be there every weekend. I've seen it happen to several of our "favorites".

Hi Marvin,
    That's a great sportbike road. Missouri is as far East as I have been. I mostly ride on Hwy. 9 in California's Santa Cruz mountains, foggy (South of San Francisco) Skyline Drive, La Honda Road, and Hwy 35. Most people do not know that San Francisco is surrounded by lush redwood forests, and great twisty mounain roads. Here are some clips from other Ducati riders (I don't own a bike cam yet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeHxEbQyrbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fux37fMoy4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-B2vk9CAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJx0u-oVd0

Other members, please share your favorite riding roads with us.
    Justin
    Words of Wisdom:
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will.
    In cyber space, the men are men, the women are men, and the young girls are FBI agents.
    A mistake becomes a problem when the mistake is ignored.
    Old Chinese saying: Man who gets sent to the dog house will instead go to the cat house.
    Old Japanese saying: The nail that sticks out the most gets hammered the most.

Nice roads Justin. Skyline Dr. looks a lot like our Blue Ridge Parkway which we don't ride much except in the Winter. Too many Park Rangers, speed limit 45, too many tickets.
    It's nice to see that in Ca. drivers pull over and let you by. Here that seldom happens. We always have to "double yellow". Lots of times after two or three of us blow by someone they try and block the remaining riders and even try and run you off the road. Harley parades are the worst, they putt along about 45 mph and don't even move to the right to let you go by. Even the RV's go faster than the Hardleys!

Hi Marvin,

I used to have a local favourite "Route" aka "The Twisties" that's was a fantastic ride until somebody wrote about in the National bike mags and MCN.
    It then became very popular with visiting riders, after a few deaths the police decended on it on mass with speed traps and unmarked cars, I never bother riding it anymore unless it's very early in the morning.

On another note...
    I've just popped in for a beer/smoke break as it's 84f in my workshop.
    I fitted the motor this morning and have just fitted the swingingarm and suspension after cleaning and re-greasing all the bearings/pivots.
    I noticed some side to side play at the swingingarm pivot and realised I'd never adjusted the shims after removing the centre C/Case gasket years ago. I wonder how many others have forgotten to do that?
    So it was out with my large bag of assorted shims and 10 min's later all the slop had gone with the 'arm moving smoothly up and down.
    I've never had a problem with the handling, being a grit your teeth and hang on/show the bugger who's boss type of rider, so I doubt that I'll notice any difference now.
    The only wobbles I've experienced is when the front wheel came up whilst banked over hard on the throttle, after clipping a catseye at close to 140mph cresting the brow of a hill, (a real brown trouser moment) or when changing up at around 85-90mph (2nd to 3rd?) hard on the gas through the gears and the front wheel just paws the air.

Steve R

Default Part II

Here's the remainder of the road.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffnc03

P.S. Steve, It only takes a little while to ruin a road. I always flag the photographers off when I go by, they probably have no clue why.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...5&po=75&pc=302
    http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...&po=111&pc=302

Hi Marvin and other members,
    Yeah, For the most part slower drivers will pull over (local drivers). However, people from the "Valley" (Silicon Valley - Bay Area folks) come up to the mountains to site see, and are not courteous with using the turn outs. There are even signs posted stating, "Slowers Drivers - Use Turn Outs," but they will cruise along at 40mph with two dozen cars and motorcycles behind them, and occasionally glance in their rearview mirror with a perplexed expression; "Oh, am I driving too slow? That's strange, nobody in front of me for as far as I can see, but for some reason there's a growing number of vehicles behind me."

The route I like to ride is Hwy 9 to Vista Point (the junction where Hwy 9 meets Hwy 35), then Hwy 35 to Alice's Restaurant to check out others peoples rides (easily a 100 motorcycles there on a nice Sunday afternoon with a large percentage being Italian motorcycles: Ghezzi Brians, Bimotas, an odd Magni Guzzi Australia, Laverdas, Moto Guzzis, etc.), then down La Honda Road to Hwy 1 South along the Pacific Coast to Santa Cruz, and back up Hwy 9. Its about a 75 mile ride altogether. The book, "The Racers Image" is all about canyon racing on Hwy 9, and is a must read book - you won't be disappointed. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...SIN=1556301375

We have the same issues here as you do. As you may expect with the mix of fast locals and slow tourists, the accidents are frequent. A highway patrol officer I was chatting with once told me there are average of 3 motorcycle accidents per weekend on Hwy 9 alone. I personally saw a second generation GSXR sheared in half shortly after the accident. The police and medics were just arriving at the time. The swingarm/rearwheel assembly was separated from the frame/rest of the motorcycle by approximately 50 feet. There were parts scattered all over the road. I noticed the distinct shape of the frame, and spotted it as a second generation GSXR, but I couldn't determine if t was a 750 or 1100. I didn't see the rider, so he may have went over the cliff (Hwy 9 is carved into the side of a mountain so there is always a cliff on one side).

Sometimes it takes the patience of Ghandi to deal with slow motorists, its hard, but I keep my temper under control because I don't want perpetuate a negative image of motorcyclists to non-motorcyclists. If the wrong people get pissed off, congress will and can make things difficult for motorcyclists. So, I keep my passes clean, and give the motorist time to see what I am doing. Although, even with proper passing etiquette, I have had a couple of motorists try to push me into the soft shoulder before.

On one occasion, I was hanging out at Alice's Restaurant parking lot with other riders. All of a sudden a guy abruptly pulled into the parking lot in a Lexus, got out and starting yelling at all of us standing there. He yelled, "All you guys are f___ing a__holes. I was just cut off back there by one of you jerks!" He then got in his car and screeched out of the parking lot and out onto the highway. If this guy was a congressman, it definitely would have been the wrong person to piss off - they already have it out for us motorcyclists anyway.

Justin
    Words of Wisdom:
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will.
    In cyber space, the men are men, the women are men, and the young girls are FBI agents.
    A mistake becomes a problem when the mistake is ignored.
    Old Chinese saying: Man who gets sent to the dog house will instead go to the cat house.
    Old Japanese saying: The nail that sticks out the most gets hammered the most.

Steve Interesting point. How do you shim up the swing arm. I know the system is floating, but how much?

Griff

PS we have the Burringbar range in NSW. Once a great piece of road to go play on (a fair hike from Brisbane). Now its littered with speed cameras. I counted 13 one day, that's fixed and mobile cameras. Insane. You get the impression the police are trying to tell you something.

Griff
    Last edited by griff851; 04-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Hi Griff,
    I thought there'd be a few who hadn't taken this into account when they removed the centre gasket.
    I couldn't find anything in the genuine manual*, so I settled for a couple of thou free play (1/2 of my main bearing preload) to allow for the cases expanding with heat.
    I just pulled the arm to one side and slid in some shims till it it had nil clearence (in the same way that you would shim the Desmo bevel rockers) then subtracted the 2 thou, putting the new extra shims on either side making sure that the sprockets were lined up.
    Oddly enough the extra shims were as near "as damn it" to the thickness of the old centre gasket...What a surprise.
    So I don't think that I've got it far out.

*Some time back someone posted on here about assembling the rear wheel into the arm off of the bike and then measuring the gap between the pivoting end of the arm, then measure the width of the cases which would give the amount of free play.
    A DTI would give the same results with the arm and wheel assembled in the cases.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 04-24-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Default SF Bay Area

I have been riding Ducati superbikes and before that wonderful british bikes in the bay area since the 1968.

There used to be so many wonderful roads...unfortunately now there are so many riders (most of whom are seriously amateur in their riding) that it is nearly impossible to find the perfect combination of day, time, temperature for a really good run.

Still there are some fun ones a little farther out like Carmel Valley Road and the Mount Hamilton run. I would share my favorite however there are already too many idiots out there which of course attract cops like flies

Quote Originally Posted by tbunnell@mac.com View Post
    I have been riding Ducati superbikes and before that wonderful british bikes in the bay area since the 1968.

There used to be so many wonderful roads...unfortunately now there are so many riders (most of whom are seriously amateur in their riding) that it is nearly impossible to find the perfect combination of day, time, temperature for a really good run.

Still there are some fun ones a little farther out like Carmel Valley Road and the Mount Hamilton run. I would share my favorite however there are already too many idiots out there which of course attract cops like flies
    Fortunately here we have thousands of miles of good roads. Some of the most easily accessible are becoming overun with squids but there are lots of other roads. The N. Ga. mountains are really nice but too near Atlanta so they ride into the that area in hoards, cops everywhere. The Asheville region is also becoming over crowded. It's a little more remote where I live so not too bad yet. One can also ride up into W. Va. and find great roads but for me that isn't usually a day trip. It's strange how, with all of these good roads, they seem to get boring after riding them often, always looking for new ones! Now I generally ride on Sunday. Before long I will probably only ride weekdays to avoid the mess.

+ Reply to Thread