+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Project:The Italian Anthology

Default Project:The Italian Anthology

As my bike nears completion, its time to ponder the next project. Rather than go forward in time from the the great awakening of the 851/888, I have decided to go backwards.
    I have an S2, ugly but functional. I added a Hailwood tank, because it is a long way between cities. My regular run was 1600-2000km depending on which way you went, in 2 days. Fuel stops become important if you want to keep your time down. The seat I made to lower the C of G as on the S2 its just wrong. So its time for a new suit for the old girl.
    So I go happy wild on the net and find the Epiphany. The Mike Hailwood gig 1978 IOM as seen in another thread. Ok something along those lines...I can do that...ish, no not really I need an NCR frame. $5200
    Ok, I decided NCR and continued to see what else is about.
    The next pic I could have for about $1500 including paint all up. And it looks like it. NCR my arse. Next.

Then I stumbled upon the next pic. Is there all of a sudden a connection going on here. Or am I seeing things. Somebody has tread this path before. (forks and swing arm)

Then the Omen. There in the background......... Yes old mate 888 and a Blowbag NCR (Or could be NCR due to the way NCR did all sorts of work depending on the cash you gave them. Pity this bloke used boggo standard brake discs)

So I can now, having presented the connection to this forum and the old bevel drive babies.... ramble on.

Now the big issue is cost in these sorts of things as we are well aware. To get a dry clutch as pictured, a new 78 seat/tank unit and a set of pipes, I'm going to need about $7500-8000, plus one more front disk. Then aided by my 08 caliper M1R forks, my goldline brembos, and an assault on my frame with a grinder and a bit of welding, I'm in with a shot at making a reasonable looking machine to paint up.

Now if every member send me $4.80 (via Jimmy to make it legitimate ) because you've seen the pictures and you know its the right thing to do, because like its a "Divine Intervention" thing. I can get started.
    Seriously guys, it's all there. The Italian connection, color photos, I've got a bike, its red.....! The whole show is looking a lot like a mission from God. God guys... you don't want to mess with him. Know what I mean.... The big "G" heaven or hell? We all get to chat with St Peter. He's going to want to know why! It could be just your luck that Mike will be moping about and bending St Pete's ear that morning over coffee at the track. (Yes Heaven has a track. Every couple of weeks St Pete on his 900 sport, tries it on against Micheal on his SP4S and Gabriel on his Matrix. ) So send now or forever hold your peace. $4.80... a couple of beers worth, that's all! Guys!....Guys.

Griff
    Last edited by griff851; 04-15-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Could end up being very cool. I think you have it figured out pretty well, except maybe the $4.80 each part.

"Pity this bloke used boggo standard brake discs" Same rotors as on the 1980 Montjuich winning endurance racer in the last picture. 4-bolt wheels need 4-bolt rotors.

Good luck with your project.
    Bill
    Last edited by wgsvintage; 04-15-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: missing word

Well spotted. Must of had disc brain fade. I never even noticed, just scanned them and went, oh standards. . Too busy getting into the whole NCR thing.

No takers on the plan $4.80 plan, my faith in human nature is shattered. I''l just have to do it the old fashion way. Sell my mother in law

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    I''l just have to do it the old fashion way. Sell my mother in law

Griff
    Post a picture and some facts (can she clean, cook, iron etc) and you might get what you REALLY want ......
    But something like that had to be in the "Classified" section
    Thomas
    -92 851 S3
    -92 900 SL no. 053
    -94 900 SL no. 738 (for sale)

Hi Griff,
    As Bill's pointed out 4 bolt discs for 4 bolt hubs...
    Most of the original NCR's ran lightened standard 4 bolt solid discs back in the day, I've got lots of pic's of them that I took in the paddocks/pits around Europe when I was on the World Endurance circuit working as a mechanic.
    I used to use them for referance when building Bevel racers or specials for customers.
    I've actually got a genuine ex race NCR full fairing hanging up at work, (the same style as fitted to Hailwoods TT winner) that I'd intended to take a mould from for my own 'Old Nail' (I've made the moulds for the fairing side panels) until I decided that the motor looked better on show/the engine clatter was better off being dispersed to atmosphere rather than being funeled up towards me and that NCR rep's had been done to death.

The 3 discs on my Bevel are all lightened solid cast iron items, the front ones are the originals that came with the bike back in '79 and the rear is a Roundcase 750 Desmo item that I bought back in '81 for 15...
    I've got a spare unused one of those.
    One of the OEM front discs has now slightly warped, ( not bad for 130,000+ miles!) I'll probably just fit a pair of EBC alloy centred replacement discs, as they're cheap, do the job and are lighter.
    I used to lust after a pair of fully floating discs, but my wheels are from a 750 roundcase 750SS that I picked up cheap in '81 when the owner fitted mag' wheels to his bike, if he still owns the bike I bet he wishes that he hadn't done that.
    I made a small fortune last year selling off 750 roundcase cam support blocks and upper bevel covers, that I'd picked up over the years.
    I didn't really want to sell them, but after my 851/916 dropped a valve I seriously needed the cash.
    As usual I'm still short of cash, to this end I might be floating a pair of big valve, twin plugged 950cc Bevel heads, they need new guides but I've probably got a set of them and new S/steel valves kicking around.

Steve R

+ Reply to Thread