+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank straps?

Default Gas tank straps?

Hi,
    Are the short rubber gas tank straps that attach behind the steering head gone forever, or is there any chance of acquiring one somewhere? Doesn't have to be mint, but usable and pretty reasonably not dry cracked. Would go on race bike.
    Thanks,
    Bill

I believe they are available in the US from 'Bevel Heaven'.

Thanks, I checked, but nothing suitable.
    Bill

What about these...

http://www.oldracingspareparts.com/t...s-3/tt600-tt2/

If not try the search function on here as I know it's been discussed before.

Steve R

All these years later and the TT's are still damned gorgeous. Acheingly so.
    1991 851 SP3SSSP
    1966 250 Monza
    1999 Moster 900 City (not so much City anymore)

They are the same item as the rear Pantah tank straps. Road and race sometimes has them, depends when the guy in Melbourne does a run of them. Usually 50 or so at a time. They will never be gone for ever.

Griff

Thank you for your help, but I need to be more specific about the style strap I'm looking for. First, I need to respond to Mr. Lawson's post about TT's. I wholeheartedly agree about how beautiful they are. I think they are the best example of how pretty something can turn out if "form follows function" is your only guide, and being one of very few Ducatis that were designed only for racing, it had to be. It didn't hurt that it was a Pantah, and didn't have to carry around liquid cooling and fuel injection equipment. As much as I like this 851 I'm working on, I have to say, it just looks clunky compared to my TT.

O.k., back to my clunky 851, if I wasn't just thrown off this forum. The strap I'm looking for hooks to a flat tab in the middle front of the gas tank, and the other end, to two hooks on the bottom of the first horizontal frame tube directly behind the steering head. See attached pictures. The tank end should have a "D" shaped loop on it to hook onto the tank tab and the frame end should be just like one end of a bevel or F1 battery strap with the pin that is 90 deg. to the strap. The battery strap from my bevel fits the 851 frame lugs like a glove. A strap came with the bike in a "junk box" when I got it (attached to the tank in picture). The tank end of it looks correct, but not the frame end. I have been assuming it was for some other purpose. The other strap in the picture is the bevel battery strap.

I'm not totally sure that the tank or the frame I have, started out together. Adamo & Leoni raced the bike thru 1988. Then in 1989 at the AMA national at Loudon, Jimmy was bumped near turn 9 and crashed hard down the pit-in lane, the bike getting airborne. We are not sure if that frame survived the crash. At some point during that season, the bike was seen in the pits at Loudon set up with carburetors. Reno couldn't deal with the computer. I know I have that frame, as the diagonal "coolant" frame tube was cut out for the carbs, and a smaller diameter tube welded back in when he had to switch back. I'm quite sure the silver paint on the frame is original, and this frame has no numbers on it. The other puzzling thing I've noticed about this frame is how the front sub-frame attaches to the steering head. It uses two 8mm bolts into lugs 90deg to the steering head. Every picture of an early 851, where you can see that area, the front sub-frame mounts like a bevel or F1 with a flat plate welded to the steering head and four screws.

So, long story short, maybe the strap I'm looking for this frame/tank combination never existed. That would be good to know too. I may be able to modify the strap I have to work with these frame lugs. Any info about these early models will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Hi Bill,
    I've never seen anything like the set up on your frame or a strap like the one your looking for used to hold the front of the tank on a 851/888, but I'm not that 'up' on the very early models like the Tricolore's.
    I have seen straps like the one attached to the tank used on some 70's-early 80's Guzzi models though, I think the Mk1 850 Le Mans used one on the rear of the tank.

Steve R

Nothing of what you mention on that 851 is as would be expected...I think you may have something special and that means no stock parts.

My advice is hold fire with your actions and use the forum and users to help identify exactly what you have.

That tank and frame are non standard parts, not even conventional race parts!

Can we have clearer images showing overall views and detailed pictures so that others can both identify exactly what you have and help you in resolving the issues that you have highlighted.

Below are some images of what I would expect to see on a conventional 851 race bike.
    Last edited by sp2 boy; 03-25-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Default Tricolore Tank strap

Well the strap in the picture and the hook on the tank look like standard tricolore items to me. The tric frame will have a similar hook on the frame.

Pop up a few more pictures of the frame and does the frame feature a waterway in the cross brace? this will also help identify the frame.

I have one of those straps, the tricolore used one on the tank and a second one over the battery that was located just behind the back light.

What forks and swinging arm are fitted?

Guy851

+ Reply to Thread