+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roche's bike

Default Roche's bike

Just happened to run into a mate today he paints bikes, I had paint jobs that needed to be done. Quid pro quo. He raced against RR when he was over here, on the Kwikwax bike or something (1990 Phillip Island). Anyway he swears RR's bike was 169kg wet.Theirs was 171kg. Their bike had the close ratio race gear box, RR's had something else. He reckoned it was magic. (He got a ride) He said it handled like a dream and he swears the engine sat back 10mm further than the norm. The gear changes were perfectly matched to the power. Radiator was way back as well. The cylinder head had a scallop out of it. He went on to talk about their bike and how they played around with it, including welding on an eccentric steering head after a couple of attempts of welding steering heads on at different angles. Still couldn't get it as sweet.

Does anyone have a RR's real machine specifications as it been bugging him for a bit now?

He was a good mate of Joey Dunlop, Joey use to stay over, then borrow his car and disappear into the never never for a bit. Were they all just a bit crazed back then? Or do we call that character now and eccentric later on? Another bloke I know Brett, fared well at the TT on Jap 600s, he's a bit hat stand. Very goey sort of blokes. They seem to have the same sort of look in their eyes. Wild and crazy, but icey killer lurking. Carl and Gianpcarlo from the pics I've seen, seem to have them as well.

Griff

Try the October 1991 issue, of 'Motociclismo'.

Terry
    Last edited by 851corsa; 01-29-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks, I'm on the hunt.

Griff

+ Reply to Thread