+ Reply to Thread

Thread: external fuel lines

Default external fuel lines

Gents, Is it possible to install the fuel lines at the side of the bike..? I'm tired of fiddeling beneath the tank (851).. Just drill a hole at both sides and fit a coupling?
    Léon
    Léon

'91 851
    '89 750paso
    '79 900SD

Anything is possible, however I think you may be confusing tanks. The ones with the quick release side mounted connectors are carbon tanks which are wider than the standard aluminium and steel tanks.

Hi Leon,
    With my standard tank I just ran the lines outside of the frame rails (righthand side over the clutch housing) and fitted quick release/dry break 'in line' connectors, it makes it very easy to remove the tank.

Peter,
    I'm not sure that you're completely right here, Jasper tells me his original SP5 steel tank has flats/flanges on the underside of the sides of the tank to take the Corse style outlets.
    My '92 851 and later 888 Strada steel tanks don't have these.

Steve R

Colder Products is one manufacturer that makes the quick disconnect lines. you can get them with an integral shutoff valve in the fitting that allows only a couple of drops of gasoline out when the line is disconnected. The original fittings on my 851 did not have this and the entire line would drain each time it was disconnected.

I lengthened the lines when I replaced them and routed them out of the right side, both fitting pairs are near the back of the battery about where your knee would be behind the fairing. Not ideal but much better. Safer to take the three minutes to remove the battery.

Tx. Got it. Indeed simple solution to lengthen the lines with a quick release thingy between. Willdo
    Léon

'91 851
    '89 750paso
    '79 900SD

+ Reply to Thread