+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 888 Cracked Engine Cases - Rear Engine mount ??

Default 888 Cracked Engine Cases - Rear Engine mount ??

Have been watching the following threads on other Ducati forums, about a guy in Aus with cracked crankcase around the the rear engine mount on a ST3;

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...ine-mount.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport...ine-mount.html

Mainly because I also have an ST3, but was also wondering if anybody has ever heard of this on an 851/888? (besides crash damage) as they are basically the same cases - except for the 8** using a 10mm mount and the new bikes have a 12mm (this has even been mentioned as a possible cause?).

It seems to have affected other Ducatis world wide not just the ST3 but Multi's, ST4's etc.

Possible causes have been mentioned as over tight or loose nuts on the mount or poor quality casting of the aluminium (I can testify to this on Ducatis - recently had a clipon crack and the course graining of the metal inside looked like something that you would see in a Dinky car not a structural engineering component) or even the whole design of the rear engine mount!

Would obviously be of interest for anybody going down the ST4 engine replacement route.

Johhny

Interestingly,

When I grabbed my 88 Kit I was also confidently prodded to also grab another engine case if I could, as this was a trait with even the older dukes of this era.

Might be continuing scenario gents !!!

Any way for the cause my 05 999S is still well intact & I have a new spare engine case if the Kit shits its self also at high speed
    GT

I've just spent some time replying to this thread and the site gremlins have lost it once again, as far as tonight goes 'I've lost the will to live'...
    Life's to short to write it all out again.
    This's getting to be a real PITA.

Steve R

Steve I write it out, then copy it just in case.
    As to the cases cracking I've seen the RH rear top crack on a 620 monster and an 1990 851. I asked Bob and it does happen, but usually a fall over has been involved.

griff

My 91 Strada had cracks in both mounts. Including chunks broken out of each mount. The widow who sold it to me had no information on it history. After much investigation I deduced it must have a left lowside crash that slid into something non movable. The left fairing was repainted and the left fork was bent. I swapped the original motor for one from a 99 ST4. Details are scattered in various posts. Someday I intend to rebuild the 851 motor with newer cases. We'll see. Right now the ST4 motor is awesome.
    Thanx
    Chris Mitchell
    ------------------------
    1991 Ducati 851 Superbike, 916 motor, Custom FbF exhaust, ST4 header.

1998 BMW K1200RS

1998 Honda Superhawk

I bought two crashed bikes in the past... a 900 and an 851. Both had been in front-end collisions and both had cracked rear mounts. Seems as the frame flexes it transfers most of the energy to the rear of the engine.

Actually had one case repaired by my local Ducati Dealer (MCC) as they knew how to weld aluminum.

Robert

+ Reply to Thread