+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ducati 888 Racing 1993

Looks quite interesting. Does anyone speak Italian?

I reckon it says it's a works 926 which has been made road legal.

Jack

It's registered in Germany, not in Italy !!!

Take care ........

Phil911

Default well???

Phil911,

you are the font of all knowledge in these matters...
    Is it the real deal?

RWS888

RWS-

I see no mention of a frame number- street or factory.

There are many "Corse" parts here--

Looking at the lousy pictures here is what I see as "Corse"-- The frame, the carbon gas tank, the rear axle, ---while the rear axle is Corse there is not a good shot of the front of the swing arm to confirm if it is real Corse but since the side shot shows no bung for the street brake -yes the '94 Corse SA did have a bung- I would say it is a Corse swing arm,--the rear brake assembly (disk/hanging brake/rod), the rear wheel, the front wheel, the front brake calipers, he is using early Corse front brake disks and carriers which I have not seen on a '93, front forks (love the correct black fender band matched with a Showa white band), front wheel, top mag triple tree, carbon foot peg holders, mag side cover, and it looks like a termi header set but could be street or race depending if it splits in the middle, the brake and clutch from the shadowy pictures it looks like they radial- red aluminum bleeder is a nice street touch.

What I am not sure about because the pictures are bad--the front head may or may not have the flat mill work that most later Corse motors had, the exhaust cans have the hanger tips bolted on rather then spot welded- they look hand made in these pictures.

The bodywork is street.

What is with the extra (temp?) gauge?

So it looks like a '93 Corse frame and suspension with street bodywork except for the Corse carbon tank. The front disks and carriers are the early type but still Corse. The header could be but I would have to see if it splits in the center. Since you cannot see much of the motor all I can say is that it has an original style case because it still has the kick start bung on the right side- replacement Corse cases had no bung. If it had the flat mill work on the front head it would hint at the motor being a Corse but the picture looks like you can still see the script of a stock head. (The RRR black heads did not have the millwork like the factory bikes- the later customer Racing did).

The seller would have to provide better pictures of the bike without the bodywork before if we can make a more informed stab at if this is the real deal or an assembled bike from bits. And- I would like shot of the frame number.

I agree with you, Mark !!!

From here with my glasses on the nose, heads aren't racing type ...
    But how to exactly know the internal modifications and parts ???

The most interesting parts seem to come from a racing bike.

I'm always speechless in front of this Ohlins front fork !!
    I've never been able to find the same one in perfect condition, here in France !!!

My conclusion is simple :

This bike is very very interesting, and numerous bidders have understood the interest and potential equipement of that one.

I'm currently fighting with my mind, coz ... I'm about to bid too !!!
    But for such a bike, further informations from the owner are imperative !!!

Let's hope that one of you will be the next happy owner !!!

Phil911

Hi Jack,
    Try google for Bablefish, that'll get you in the ball park.
    I personally look on this bike a very interesting/tasty 'Bitsa'...
    "Bit's of this/bits of that".

Phil,
    Shouldn't the mag' clutch housing be opened out on the late 888/926 Corse bikes??
    Didn't the last 926cc bikes have 5 spoke wheels??
    Also it's not a hard job to add the gussets and remove the road brackets to a road frame to make it look like a genuine Corse frame, an hour or 2 in the workshop would have a standard frame looking just like the real deal...
    I intend to add the gussets and remove the surplus lugs on my Strada frame, when I finally get around to having it powder coated, although my welding would be a lot neater than the factory frames welding.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    Looks quite interesting. Does anyone speak Italian?

I reckon it says it's a works 926 which has been made road legal.

Jack
    Last edited by Mr.R; 08-16-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Shouldn't the mag' clutch housing be opened out on the late 888/926 Corse bikes??
    ---> It should be ... but keep in mind the clutch housing were all as standard shape and machined after its Mag. treatment !!!
    I sold a brand new one never machined, few years ago ...

Didn't the last 926cc bikes have 5 spoke wheels??
    ---> Yep, 1994 only !!

I intend to add the gussets and remove the surplus lugs on my Strada frame, when I finally get around to having it powder coated, although my welding would be a lot neater than the factory frames welding.
    ---> With your experience you know how the gussets, the brackets and weldings (they always start from a specific point) are the factory signatures.
    A lot neater and something is suddenly different ...

I'll not bid, but what a nice opportunity to get a sexy bike, easy to modify to achieve a "Racing" copy !!!

Phil911

Phil, Steve-

The gusset looks like the sloppy, large diameter wire, mig job that the factory used. It is a good copy of the weld- if it is a copy. My guess would be a factory frame since I can see the huge wire welds in all of the pictures that show any welds.

I agree about the closed mag cover being an early type just like the front rotors and carriers.

The baffles in the tip of the can look very street - from the picture it look like an insert shoved into the tips to act as a DB killer.

The termi header is a toss up for me. Looking closer on the right side of the header system it looks like a racing termi because it is split in the middle under the motor (as seen in the track picture). What is interesting is that it has a spring clamp at the joint below the can pipe to header pipe joint. I have not seen spring clamps at this joint on the early or on the later big tube termi Corse header systems.

Since it is split under the motor I call it a Corse header-- with an extra spring clamp joint like the street systems.

It is odd that both the race body work and the street body work do not use the front V air deflector. Only the early race bikes ran without the V air deflector.

What is a nice touch-- the CEV tach actually looks right- cannot get a closeup but it looks like the word DUCATI is in the correct place as well as X1000-- I think it is a bonus part!.

Still cannot make out what the extra small temperature like gauge mounted on the left is.

Yup-- need much better pictures to see what other good bits come with the bike. Be very interesting to see more of the motor. Love to see the airbox and what mag and carbon bits it has. Looks like it may have exposed pulleys but that does not mean much.

Will be interesting to find out what the reserve is--there seems to be many nice and some rare bits here.

It could be he's monitoring oil and water temp.

Griff

+ Reply to Thread