+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combining looms, injectors and ECU's have I missed a trick?

Default Combining looms, injectors and ECU's have I missed a trick?

Hi all,

Back to a healthy technical debate to draw me away for a break from the eyewatering task of preparing a tender for Nigeria

I am struggling a little with performance and an indicated 96rwhp is not where I hoped to be.

There may well be issues with running the y conveyors/sealed airbox with lid and getting enough air rammed in there..

But I am wondering if i have missed a trick when building up the parts to put her together.

Just to focus on the ECU/Loom/injectors for the moment.

I have a full loom off an SP4 that was racing together with injectors, green top/white tip from the same bike. This is partnered with a P8 ECU with a new chip prepared by JHP to compliment to entire build specification from intake to silencer.

Seeing comments on different pin connectors for RPM signal between the P7 (as was fitted to SP4 looms) and the P8 I now run have I missed something critical here that should be changed?

It seems not as everything is great (apart from the power)

I had a thought late last night that the combination of loom/injectors and ECU might not be firing enough injectors, might just have been a wishful dream tho and a route to an easy fix

Any thoughts

Thanks

Guy851

I had a thought late last night that the combination of loom/injectors and ECU might not be firing enough injectors, might just have been a wishful dream tho and a route to an easy fix
    F sure a possibility, just happened w a friends bike.
    888 w P8 loom & ECU didn`t fire both of injectors on newer dual injector TBs.
    Think he solved it w Y-splitting signal to inj just before the TBs.

Default Brilliant

Greenmonster please tell me more,

It was one of those middle of the night thoughts that came so It might just be true.

Kicking myself if it is, I guess a quick swap to a P7 ECU would tell

Many thanks

Guy851

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
    F sure a possibility, just happened w a friends bike.
    888 w P8 loom & ECU didn`t fire both of injectors on newer dual injector TBs.
    Think he solved it w Y-splitting signal to inj just before the TBs.

Default Any more on this question ?

Bring it on,

Tad excited about an easy fix here

Guy851

Quote Originally Posted by guy851 View Post
    Hi all,

Back to a healthy technical debate to draw me away for a break from the eyewatering task of preparing a tender for Nigeria

I am struggling a little with performance and an indicated 96rwhp is not where I hoped to be.

There may well be issues with running the y conveyors/sealed airbox with lid and getting enough air rammed in there..

But I am wondering if i have missed a trick when building up the parts to put her together.

Just to focus on the ECU/Loom/injectors for the moment.

I have a full loom off an SP4 that was racing together with injectors, green top/white tip from the same bike. This is partnered with a P8 ECU with a new chip prepared by JHP to compliment to entire build specification from intake to silencer.

Seeing comments on different pin connectors for RPM signal between the P7 (as was fitted to SP4 looms) and the P8 I now run have I missed something critical here that should be changed?

It seems not as everything is great (apart from the power)

Any thoughts

Thanks

Guy851

PM forum member hauge, he is the friend w the bike in question I mentioned and has more & deeper knowledge about this.
    Last edited by greenmonster; 05-18-2010 at 06:55 PM.

p7 and p8 swap without issue.

the 996 dual injector throttle bodies have the injectors wired as pairs - there's two empty holes in the throttle body side of the screw loc connector. you would need specific p8 dual injector throtle bodies or just the little loom piece from a 888sp5, 916sp, 916spsp or 996sps. on them all 4 injectors are fed by individual wires. you can buy it as a genuine part.

the dual injector software in the p8 drives the lead injector at the map duration then cuts it in half for lead and secondary, so it'd either be doubly rich or half lean, and wouldn't run at either. are you running the right fuel pressure for the eprom?

sp4 loom should have connectors for injectors on main loom? don't see how that could be wrong if it was right before.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Default Thanks Brad

Thanks for the below,

And good to know that the swap is fine

Yes the SP4 loom is ready wired for the SP4 injector set also fitted with 4 separate injector connectors.

Back to the drawing board and I will check the fuel pressure to see if this is down

I will report back

Guy851

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    p7 and p8 swap without issue.

the 996 dual injector throttle bodies have the injectors wired as pairs - there's two empty holes in the throttle body side of the screw loc connector. you would need specific p8 dual injector throtle bodies or just the little loom piece from a 888sp5, 916sp, 916spsp or 996sps. on them all 4 injectors are fed by individual wires. you can buy it as a genuine part.

the dual injector software in the p8 drives the lead injector at the map duration then cuts it in half for lead and secondary, so it'd either be doubly rich or half lean, and wouldn't run at either. are you running the right fuel pressure for the eprom?

sp4 loom should have connectors for injectors on main loom? don't see how that could be wrong if it was right before.

When you ran it on the dyno were Lambda sensors fitted in the headers. If not try this, its the only way you will know were it is running rich or lean. If your headers dont have the mounts fitted you can get them welded in. If you have done a lot of changes to your inlet and exhaust systems the cheapest way to set the bike up is to fit a Power Commander and set it up on the dyno. You can do it with chips but it is much more time consuming - do a run - burn and fit a chip - do another run, etc, etc.....
    Power Commanders have to be hard wired into our bikes but once fitted remapping is very easy (as long as you use the right people of course).

Default Getting it set right

Thanks Ian,

No indeed to Lambda sensors or plugs to mount them but a good thought.

Now then, using a power commander has also been on my mind, if only the SP4 loom had the little round din plug at the injectors this would be easy. I wonder if Spike still has this section of loom on the SP5 injectors I sent him ages ago and if it would fit my loom? Or will I need the injector loom section complete off an Sp5/916 SPS to make life easy and save on cutting wires.

I might just have a lookie on fleabay

Guy851

Quote Originally Posted by ians888 View Post
    When you ran it on the dyno were Lambda sensors fitted in the headers. If not try this, its the only way you will know were it is running rich or lean. If your headers dont have the mounts fitted you can get them welded in. If you have done a lot of changes to your inlet and exhaust systems the cheapest way to set the bike up is to fit a Power Commander and set it up on the dyno. You can do it with chips but it is much more time consuming - do a run - burn and fit a chip - do another run, etc, etc.....
    Power Commanders have to be hard wired into our bikes but once fitted remapping is very easy (as long as you use the right people of course).

+ Reply to Thread