+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering damper

Default Steering damper

Looking to buy a steering damper for the 93 888....anyone happen to be selling one?

loony888 Guest

waste of money. these bikes are so stable the only reason you would want one is to add weight or increase steering effort.
    if you're having handling issues they should be easily remedied, a damper usually masks poor handling traits rather than fixing them but these things take such effort to get from side to side (compared to say a 916) that you're doing yourself a disservice.
    spend the cash on new tyres and beer instead.

paul.
    mmmm.......beer!

Default call me a slapper?

But I have had one on three 851/888's and a 916 now and swear they are good.

Only had one massive slapper on the 888 bitsa lifting the front just slightly and coming down on the catseyes

Rode home slow and fitted a steering damper right away.

Yes agreed our bikes are as stable as mabel after a few gins but surprise road conditions, side wind and more are all out hiding around the corner.

IMHO Anyway

Guy851

Going with Guy on this one. If you've hit a bump in a corner above 150kph, and had an uncomanded maneuver in the arms and legs dept, then they make good sense as insurance.

Griff

I have only had one slight slapper with mine. I had a damper on it but always in the "least" setting. I was at VIR, really fast left hander on the crown of a hill. The front wheel lofted and when I came down the wheel evidently wasn't headed in the proper direction so it did "wobble" a bit. I turned the damper up one more notch.

Thanks guys, but I prefer to have one....I've been in WAY to many tank slappers while racing and to this day, I'll still use one on my street bikes. Still looking for one if anyone has on for sale?

+ Reply to Thread