+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: 1992 Ducati 888 SP4 CA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by motalia View Post
    Just curious, did you ever sell your bike?
    Nope Balz, its still for sale.
    1992 Ducati 888 SP4
    1992 Ducati 900SS
    2010 HD XRCR

Where there's a will, there is a way, and there is a #%&@ing way...

Cool Ducati 888 SPO frame

Will the 888 SPO frame be up for sale seperately ?

Default Nearly fell off my chair...!

I couldn't believe it when I came across this thread and read through it, fair nearly fell off my chair!

Firstly Ripper, beautiful SP4 you have, I'd love to buy it but the price is a bit north of what I'd expect to pay for an SP4 in the UK. $31k USD works out at 19,250 GBP whereas I'd expect a very good UK SP4 to be about 10-12.5k. Add import tax, shipping and everything else and it's nearly twice the price even though it does have fantastic modifications etc. Good luck with it, it's clearly a rarer commodity in the USA where there are only FOUR or so ;-)

BUT....then I noticed the exchanges with Mr Ducati himself, Mike Cecchini. What a hoot!!

Aside from the fact that dissing our very own Mr R doesn't go down well given the help, advice, years of experience and sometimes even parts that Steve has helped with in the past, I had some dealings with Mr Cecchini in 2001/2 when I sold my 888 SP5.

He contacted me from the US and wanted to buy the bike, apparently, but then started to claim it was wrong and the price needed to be dropped. It wasn't, it was a bog standard SP5 save for the Maxton fork internals up front.

After a few meaningless exchanges he then explained he was going to convert it anyway and sent me pictures of that nasty monkey puke yellow special SPC or whatever it is (Sport Production Carnage?). "Special" being the operative word although I guess only UK guys will understand what I mean by that....

That was it - deal was off, I wanted the money but not at the expense of seeing my beautiful SP5 vomited on by some bilious goblin from the underworld and turning out like a technicolour yawn! I mean honestly if you were going to make a yellow Ducati you'd at least use Spaggiari colours or even 748 standard yellow, but that?!

At that point in negotiations the 'vastly knowledgeable' Mr Cecchini became abusive and I blocked his emails. Thankfully I then sold to a lovely bloke in Scotland who was a true enthusiast and the SP5 lives on cossetted and cared for and after a few years of many bike ownership, I realised the error of my ways and bought another SP5 from a museum in Germany and am happy once more.

So imagine my surprise when I saw this thread, how I laughed yesterday with all the exchanges with Steve...school kids? Not on your Nelly, it's priceless entertainment, just classic...mmmmmmmmmmm?

When it comes down to a "tune off", I'm right behind Steve without a shadow of a doubt - experience and true hands on knowledge trumps fat walletted all the gear no idea every time.

Thanks for the entertainment guys and the blast from the past, I'm still grinning this morning!

Oh and good luck with the sale Ripper....although I'd be tempted to throw a sheet over her and keep her until you're really sure...

Exclamation Priceless

I remember reading this the first time round, gets better with age a classic.

Scott
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    - Albert Einstein.

It was a good thread. Happily, the bike sits in the garage of her new owner. He knows who he is and I couldn't be more thrilled it went to a great home.
    1992 Ducati 888 SP4
    1992 Ducati 900SS
    2010 HD XRCR

Where there's a will, there is a way, and there is a #%&@ing way...

+ Reply to Thread