+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Ecu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    669

    Default Ecu

    Hello all!
    Since a couple of weeks I finaly got on to working with my 1026 engine.
    When I putted the engine in the frame in september it would not start and I just puted the project aside since the trackday season was over anyway. However, going to Cartagena for a 4 day track day session in march its about time to get the bike running, if I donīt want to ride the ssie.
    When I tried to start it i soon finded out that ignition was not right. The engine is a mix of a lot of models, ST4S, 851, 888, 749R, 907IE. The crank is an 907ie with 6(?) splines witch caused a lot of problems. it turned out that, first of all did not get the marks on the timing propely. Iīm very confused why this did happend because I spendt a LOT of time putting the engine together (shiming, crank, gearbox, valves, etc and timing the cams) and I have rbuild several engines before.
    However I found out that the spark was 90 deg before tdc. I did not want to change the cam timing so I made a new mark in the gear and made a new "flange" 45 deg from the original one and removed the old one.
    I now get a perfekt spark at tdc on both cylinders. The problem is now that the Myecu is not very reliable on the spark as the P8 box is. The bike will start with the p8 box but not with my ecu (with etanol). I have not spendt alot of time with the my ecu so i might find a soltion later on.
    What different aftermarket systems are ther where you can use the sensors as in the p8 (engine speed (flywheel) and engine position (cam timing gear). It is ofcuorse possible to burn new eproms to the p8 box and get a god map. It would be nicer with an aftermarket system so you can change the map direct from a laptop.



    Cheers
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bris Vegas
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    With a bit of mucking around, you might consider a Nemisis. It can be done I have been assured.

    Griff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    With a bit of mucking around, you might consider a Nemisis. It can be done I have been assured.

    Griff
    Yepp!
    nemesis is a good option. Not possible to use with the flywheel/timegear on the early engines though (as far as I know).
    A friend of mine working at the local ducati dealer has installed a lot of them so I would get a lot of free support.
    I might give up the idea to bring the 888 to spain and concentrate on a new loom and a modern ecu.
    Iīm going to give the Myecu a couple of more chanses (i have two and they are allready paid for....)
    I keep you posted


    Cheers
    Thomas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bris Vegas
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    I emailed a guy here in South Australia and he says you can use them you just have to muck around a bit more, it was preferable to use a later 748 style single pick up.

    Griff

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Alsace France
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hauge View Post
    Hello all!

    I now get a perfekt spark at tdc on both cylinders. The problem is now that the Myecu is not very reliable on the spark as the P8 box is. The bike will start with the p8 box but not with my ecu (with etanol). I have not spendt alot of time with the my ecu so i might find a soltion later on.
    What different aftermarket systems are ther where you can use the sensors as in the p8 (engine speed (flywheel) and engine position (cam timing gear). It is ofcuorse possible to burn new eproms to the p8 box and get a god map. It would be nicer with an aftermarket system so you can change the map direct from a laptop.



    Cheers
    Thomas
    I tried a MYECU16 on my 851/996 but it does not start good. Lots of kickbacks and very grumpy. When I fit P16 with a UM222 eprom she starts perfect so I gave up the MYECU for the moment. If you find a goo solution please let me know.

    Jocke........

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cornwall S.W. England
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    Couldn't you just use the P8 set up and then 'Piggy Back' a PC III usb onto it and adjust the fueling via that*, any adustments to the igniton curve needed could be made by using a different chip.
    I had John Hackett of JHP's supply me with a selection of 'Baseline' chips to suit different engine set ups.

    *Once the PC III USB's installed you can hook the bike/ecu upto a laptop and play away to your hearts content.

    I'm a complete Computer 'Numpty' and I must admit that I needed Mrs R's help to get started here...
    But even I can send new/self altered maps to the PC III via my laptop, adding or subtracting fuel in whatever range that I choose.
    TBH I couldn't believe how easy it was to do...
    After years of swapping jets, needles etc and even turning up my own needles (some of them looking like dog bones) to suit various motors, tapping away on a keyboard is soooo much easier.
    I just spend some time working out what I think's needed and just plug in the laptop to the ECU and press 'Send Map', then try the bike.

    Steve R

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    669

    Default

    I just ordered an eprom-programer, incase I wont get the Myecu to work properly.
    There are people using the Myecu and I think greenmonster on this list has a solotion for the starting problems as well.
    In worst case (or at least the expensiest...) I could make upn 42 -2 "indicator wheel" and attach to the time gear and use only one sensor with a Nemesis.

    I talked to another guy today who is reprogramming 1,5 ecu, wich is also an option if I have to re-wire. (Wich I consider anyway to get rid of alots of wires).

    Cheers
    Thomas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    38

    Default

    So is the myecu any good? Is it worth investigating any further.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 888906 View Post
    So is the myecu any good? Is it worth investigating any further.
    I donīt know yet.
    I still have problems with starting the engine. It fires up nice on the front baut not on the back. Untill it doesent run on both I will not fiddle with the myecu. I know people are happy with them though.

    I start to think that the rear cyl is set 360 deg wrong....
    Its putted it together with new unmarkt ajustable camwheels. Ignition says 0 deg on both with strob and around 20-40 deg adv when running.
    I think i will rip out the engine and put it togheter with original cambelt wheels first to see whats realy going on...

    Cheers
    Thomas

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Alsace France
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hauge View Post


    I start to think that the rear cyl is set 360 deg wrong....
    Its putted it together with new unmarkt ajustable camwheels. Ignition says 0 deg on both with strob and around 20-40 deg adv when running.
    I think i will rip out the engine and put it togheter with original cambelt wheels first to see whats realy going on...

    Cheers
    Thomas
    Just remove the sparkplugs. Handcrank the engine. Then you will feel if the rear cylinder is "pumping" air 90 degrees before or 270 degrees after the front one.

    Jocke........

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts