+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 851/888 Oil Cooler Mount Valve Cover

Default 851/888 Oil Cooler Mount Valve Cover

Hello All,

I am installing an oil cooler on my 1990 851. I have purchased all the parts needed (I think) except the lower horizontal cylinder head valve cover that the oil cooler mounts to.

I believe the part number is: 24010031A

Does any one know where I can find one of these oil cooler mount valve covers for an 851/888/916?

Thanks!

P.S. I mistakenly purchased a set of 996 valve covers to mount the oil cooler, but I discovered that Ducati made the cylinder heads slightly smaller and therefore made these valve covers smaller after the 916 (I believe). -So if any one needs four valve covers for a 996, let me know...

At your local Ducati dealer, I think mines off either an 916 or ST4. About 35 of our English pounds.
    Have you got the piece of spring steel that fits between the oil filter and the crank cases?

Great, thank you! -I always assume most 851 parts are no longer available at the dealer, so I usually do not ask there first.

I do have the spring steel that mounts under the oil filter onto the crank case, thanks.

Hi,
    I'll confirm what Stafford has said the valve covers from the 916's fit.
    The shallower exhaust valve covers 1st appeared on the 916SP, on these bikes the inlet covers were the same size as the 851/888/916.
    The 748R also has the shallow exhaust covers, I didn't realise that they were also fitted to the 996's other than possibly the 996SPS's.
    I've always thought that it was only the exhaust valve covers that were shallower to give clearence to the front wheel when using steep steering angles?

I've got a spare brand new still vacuum packed/unopened 916 front cylinder exhaust cover, (that mounts the oil cooler) the part # is actually 24010111A if you want to swap it for your shallow one?

That way it would only cost the postage for each of us...
    If you send me yours I'll send you mine and no cash need change hands other than at the post office, it's got to be cheaper than buying a new one from a dealer, even if we both insure the package!

What do you say??

Steve R

Hi Steve,

I say you've got yourself a deal! -Although that does still leave me with the three other covers that are shallow if you know anyone who is interested. I purchased the entire set, which included the front exhaust cover to mount the oil cooler and the three other covers, which are all shallow. Since I discovered that these covers did not fit an 851 I figured that all the covers on the 996, 748 and ST4S were shallow.

Either way I am at least intersested in swapping the front exhaust cover with you if you are not interested in the entire set.

How do we proceed? -Should you email me your address?

Thanks,

Frank.

Hi Frank,

I'm pinging you a PM as soon as I've signed off here.

Steve R

They are different sizes as I found out the hard way. I thought the 748 ones would fit my 93 888 but they are smaller then the ones I needed so I ended up buying the larger ones off another fourm. Depending on the size you need I have 3 left over as I too only needed the one if anyone is looking for some?

na13al@msn.com

I just checked my '98 748 valve cover w/ cooler mount, part #24010111A. It fits on my 851/888 heads perfectly. They are '90 heads so I am assuming they are from an SP (29/33).

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post
    I just checked my '98 748 valve cover w/ cooler mount, part #24010111A. It fits on my 851/888 heads perfectly. They are '90 heads so I am assuming they are from an SP (29/33).

Robert

The 2000+ 748 covers are smaller, so he'll need the older ones for his project. Like I posted, I pulled my from my 2000 748 motor and they were smaller so I had to buy different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    The 2000+ 748 covers are smaller, so he'll need the older ones for his project.
    That would be why I gave the older part number....

Robert

+ Reply to Thread