+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I think i got lucky

Smile I think i got lucky

Hello all,

I have been on the lookout for a cheapish 851/88 after selling my 888 earlier this year, this is what i manged to find in Aberdeen. It was bought unseen and arrived this morning.
    I dont think its half as bad as the seller described or how it appeared in the few pictures he emailed me. Its basically all there and very original, apart from the mirrors obviously. It hasnt been run for the last six years and there is light rust on the chasis.
    My initail intention, before i saw the bike was to carry out a long and slow nut and bolt restoration as funds permitted, but i think this can wait, i want to see how it runs and maybe use it this summer and restore it next year.

BAD BITS
    rust inside tank on bracket holding fuel filter
    rust on nuts holding fuel pump...........i think this is knackered anyway
    belts not changed in eight years
    been told that injector heads probably rusty too..........hate to think what they cost
    all nuts and bolts rusty
    brakes seized
    paint flaking off engine casings
    needs new battery...........this is probably the least of my worries.

GOOD BITS
    fairings all there and in excellent condition
    wiring seems ok
    wheels in near perfect condition
    5700 miles from new.......have all old mots to prove this
    no damage to any major component

Anyway, i have attached a few pics of my new baby.............its tatty and tired but you know what? i LOVE it already, cant wait to get it running hear through a set of open cans.
    I will be bothering forum members over the next few months for advice and suggestions, so please bear with me and i will try and limit my questions to the most serious of problems. All advice welcome from members who have undertaken similar tasks.

Now, where did i put that WD40?.................the last picture is the view inside the fuel tank.............anyone living in Berkshire have any spare time on the weekends?.............
    Last edited by firefly_1965; 06-17-2009 at 04:28 AM.

That certainly is going to keep you occupied. Good show award for finding and rescuing another bike from a slow death.

Griff

Thanks Griff,

Thats one of the reasons i bought it, i did hear a rumour that it was going to be broken up for parts or possibly used as a donor for a track bike. The thought of that made me sad so i decided to rescue the old girl and make it roadworthy.

Regards

Good decision on restoring a nother froam destruction!!

Cheers

All my greatings Inda!

Now you have to work!!!
    851 Tricolore Strada ex Lucky
    851 s.p.3 #153 STOLEN!
    851 s.p.3 #052
    M900 "MangiaOlio"

My blog: http://l-twins.blogspot.com/

Thank you Ube my friend, now i have to find someone to make it work and look good as i cant even change the oil on a bike without breaking something.

Its been nearly two weeks since i took possession of the bike and beacuse of work committments i havent had time to do much to the bike until today. I removed the fairing and srayed even more WD40 to the rusty bits seen in the pictures.

The general of the bike is not that bad really, lots of rusty nuts and bolts due to its inactive state for the last 6 yrs, but the fairing is perfect no accident damage/repairs, so it has been tucked away in the loft, a light refurbishment of the fairing will probably be needed.

Just got decide whether to start a light refurb myself without causing further damage or to entrust it to the professionals, just worried about the eye watering amounts they want to carry out he work.

Will keep you posted with regular updates.

Hi Firefly, what's your given name chap?
    For me all these web handles are a bit impersonal.

The rusty frame, bolts and hoses won't really be a problem/they're easily sorted, but those fork stanchions are completely F**ked mate.
    All the WD40 in the World won't sort them out!
    It would probably be cheaper to find a replacment set via E-Bay or up-grade them to some from a later model, than get them sorted out in my experience. Although 'Fit Forks' here in the UK have a good reputation in the classic bike world and do a good job at a fair price but...
    We're still talking hundreds here!

Best of luck with your project mate.

Steve R

P.S. You've got a PM mate.
    Last edited by Mr.R; 06-28-2009 at 01:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread