+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 851 Upgrade Motor Options?

Default 851 Upgrade Motor Options?

I know the ST4S seems to be the the choice of some to upgrade but interested to hear if anyone has seen or know of others?

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I know the ST4S seems to be the the choice of some to upgrade but interested to hear if anyone has seen or know of others?

Depends on what you are after. I bought a slightly crashed st4s together with a friend of mine. Im going to use the engine (look on projects). Wheels and stuff is also usable (with modification) depending what you need and like.
    I ended up with aprox. 1000 euro fo a completet engine, but it will probably end up 3 times more with porting, pistons, camshafts, rods etc......
    At least in europe the st range seems to have lost interest on the market so they are cheap now.

Cheers
    Thomas

I am considering picking up a S4R motor with swingarm, I believe the suspension setup maybe different linking to the frame but have not had chance to study that option, just seeing if anyone else has.

I am considering picking up a S4R motor with swingarm, I believe the suspension setup maybe different linking to the frame but have not had chance to study that option, just seeing if anyone else has.

The S4R should fit just fine with the 851/888 swingarm. (isn't it basically a ST4s engine?) I slowly putting a S4RS in mine which is a lot more work. Some early pics and discussion in the projects section here.
    There are also pics of another chap putting one in his bike.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    The S4R should fit just fine with the 851/888 swingarm. (isn't it basically a ST4s engine?) I slowly putting a S4RS in mine which is a lot more work. Some early pics and discussion in the projects section here.
    There are also pics of another chap putting one in his bike.
    So I guess the single side swingarm will not be an straightforward "bolt up" ?

So I guess the single side swingarm will not be an straightforward "bolt up" ?
    I'm not all that familiar with the suspension setup on the S4R but I really doubt that it will be a straight bolt up.
    But, shouldn't be all that difficult to do. Have you compared lengths of the two swingarms? If the S4R is longer that might be a good thing! I roughly measured the length of a 888 corse swingarm and it's about 15-20mm longer than a stock 888 swingarm.

Are you sure that you wanna change the looks of an 851/888 that much!

You can certainly swap an S4R into an S4 Monster, which although it does not have the hoop it is a similar swing arm to the 888.

Not measured but I heard it was longer, whats the length on the 851 swingarm? I am trying to buy back a 1990 851 that I owned in 01 used as a trackbike, sold it 3yrs ago and its sat since. The bodywork has been repainted but I was thinking of a radical change in suspension, brakes and motor.

stock 851 swingarm is approx. 580mm

Robert

Thanks going to check on the S4R swingarm specs to compare

+ Reply to Thread