+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Engine stand

Default Engine stand

Usually when I work on Ducati engines, I like to set them up on my bike lift on some wooden mock-up stand. But, I have an automotive engine stand that I like to use also, so I can free up my bike lift. In the past I have mounted the motor to the plate via 3 points... however this necessitates removing the clutch housing and not being able to then work on that area.. only the alt side. Well after seeing a stand that HAUGE used on his workbench.. it gave me the idea that I could get away with less mounting points.. thus I used the motor's rear two points and through a some balancing to disperse the weight was able to get it to work.. though I will have to work on the motor as a "v" instead of an "L" until I remove the heads and jugs in fear of tipping. Now I can work on every aspect of the motor.. both sides and that's a plus.

Here are some pics.. thought this might help others who are looking for engine stand options. Always be careful with whatever methods you deploy as you could injure yourself or your motor if it falls or the stand fails.

Robert

Gidday!
    Glad you liked my engine stand. IŽll try to take some photos of it on tuesday. I think you can easily modifie yours for more access.

Cheers
    Thomas

Gidday!
    I just came in from the shed. I made the brackets of two sizes of square tube steel where one fits in the other. This makes the bracket stabile but still possible to split the cases.

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas that is really a very ingenious design.. one worthy of a patent (something you should consider ). I thought the stand was great before with your mounting points and brackets and how you could rotate the motor... but now with the sliding mounts for splitting cases, truly a creative and purposeful design. Thanks for sharing!

Robert

Great idea Thomas!

Simply put...Excellent.

Griff

Borrowed it when I split my engine.
    It surely is a great help!
    The Allen key is for fixing the engine at different angles,
    really convenient!

Exclamation attn: hauge "Thomas"

Quote Originally Posted by hauge View Post
    Gidday!
    I just came in from the shed. I made the brackets of two sizes of square tube steel where one fits in the other. This makes the bracket stabile but still possible to split the cases.

Cheers
    Thomas
    Thomas,

I am modifying my engine stand to incorporate a vise like yours has. Could you tell me what sizes you used for the 2 pieces that fit inside each other? I will need the wall thickness also. Originally I was going to use 2x2x1/4" for the outer but was told I would need to use 3/16 wall thickness due to the inside weld in order to slip fit the inner tube, so now I will be using 2x2x3/16" and 1.5x1.5x3/16" steel sq tube.

I appreciate it!

Robert

btw: here is what I am planning...

ps. I've added an updated and simpler design...
    Last edited by got2dv8; 01-22-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: addt'l info

Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post
    Thomas,

I am modifying my engine stand to incorporate a vise like yours has. Could you tell me what sizes you used for the 2 pieces that fit inside each other? I will need the wall thickness also. Originally I was going to use 2x2x1/4" for the outer but was told I would need to use 3/16 wall thickness due to the inside weld in order to slip fit the inner tube, so now I will be using 2x2x3/16" and 1.5x1.5x3/16" steel sq tube.

I appreciate it!

Robert

btw: here is what I am planning...

ps. I've added an updated and simpler design...

Sorry, it seems as as missed this thread.
    From my mind i think it was 25x25x2 and 30x30x2mm. Just something I had in the shed.
    IŽll try rember to messure the tubes tomorow.

Cheers
    Thomas

I decided to take a break from my motor today and make some proper brackets for my engine stand. I had originally designed some lavish thing with arms that slid inside each other so I could separate the cases on the stand. However, after actually splitting the cases and then closing and opening them multiple times, I have come to the conclusion that idea won't work very well. It's best to use a bench when opening and closing cases and shimming and such. So, I just used some angle iron to make the brackets and welded them to a plate which already came with my engine stand. Then it was just a matter of driving the holes. Simple but very effective. This will come in handy when re-assembling the motor.

Robert

+ Reply to Thread