+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brembo caliper identification

Default Brembo caliper identification

Hi I have a pair of light gold anodised 4 piston callipers. 40mm mounting. pistons are 30mm and 36mm marked 8k22 on the back any idea what they are and how to identify them, I've never seen another pair exactly the same. I've had them about 16 years. there was a post about gp 2 callipers that look similar but the brembo isn't red and its not underlined any help greatly appreciated
    Attached Images

They're GP2. Look like they're in really nice shape too. Worth a good chunk of money.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

On the mounting adapters, it says 280, does that refer to 280mm discs?

yes they were used with carbon lorraine cast iron full floating 280mm discs. what might they be worth ?

That’s a tough one. Only guessing here, but they look like they may have been re-anodised. If and I stress if they have, then there’s a problem. The hole the piston sits in is a critical size. Too big it leaks, too small it will bind. When holes get hot they get bigger.
    Anodising goes down into the substrate as much as it builds up. So 40 microns is 20 down into the substrate and 20 above its original surface. So when you strip you have to go down 20 microns in this example.
    For reference a good slide fit is 20 micron. 20um or 0.02mm.
    Anodising can be quite thick (google it) so unless the anodiser guy is ISO approved, who knows what your getting back. Too thick and rapid seal wear and possible binding, to thin leaky seals at high temperatures.
    As I don’t know if Brembo sold GP2’s in gold line like appearance, i’d be writing to them or doing some serious research.
    What I do know is that these are GP2’s as fitted to WSB. Note: they are not gold, not even close, the disc carrier is standard gold. Thin anodising as well. They are pre monoblock. They went to monoblock for heat dissipation. Racing brakes get seriously hot and distort resulting in brake failure.
    A thing to think about here is that these are brakes going on a machine capable of 250kmph +. If they crap out, death or serious injury of somebody’s dad (or mum) can happen. I for one couldn’t live with that.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by griff851; 11-24-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

well on the subject of re-anodising i can be sure they have not. they are mint and original, as i said I've had them at least 16 years and they have done a good few happy miles in that time just never in the wet and have always been kept clean and dust free.all the machining marks are still crisp which is never the case with re- anodised stuff as they always polish first. if you could see them you would know right away they have never been touched. still need help knowing what to ask for them. but as i say they are factory fresh not re- anodised.

found a photo of M L 's 851 superbike with callipers exactly the same colour as mine and in fact they don't have the red writing on them or the underline. all the gp2 seem to have the underline but mine don't. i was told back when i got them they were ex works ducati but assumed this was a sales pitch and still think that as they seemed to be to tidy for anything that had been near a race bike. unless they were spares. I've attached the photo
    Attached Images

All good mate. Could well be factory initial order. Worth even more due to rarity. I have a Brembo rear floating caliper holder that was factory order for the last Bevel twin but never used except on the first TT2. What’s it worth? Rarity is a strange beast. I be moving on from here say to research, could be well worth the effort.
    2 years ago I had a smash repair on a Bevel. Painted calipers. The paint swelled and jammed up the pistons. No brakes when the rider really needed them. 13 years ago in another local shop, master cylinder not set up correctly. Piston wasn’t allowed to return far enough back. Rider was riding the brakes on the highway. Fluid got hot. He had a moment with a bit more rigorous braking. Extra heat, brakes grabbed and front wheel locked up. Paraplegic now.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

That gold finish is original. My set is the same, and I sold another set like them.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

Default PaulM

I couple of years ago I purchased a genuine factory customer 91 888 Roche Corse race bike which I have been restoring. This bike was raced for 3 years then dry stored. This bike has I believe the same calipers (they have 0J25 or oJ25 stamped on the rear casting). I think they are from a 92 season bike. The calipers were rebuilt and restored by Mode Performance in Northamptonshire who had the parts in stock to rebuild them. I was told they are billet calipers with P34 pistons etc (but I have a bad memory). The bike runs 320mm brembo cast iron 12 bobbin floating discs, which they also re shimmed. Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread