+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using SP4 loom and race? Injector set on P8 ECU

Default Using SP4 loom and race? Injector set on P8 ECU

Morning all,

Final final final dry assembly is done and I am on the build up to ride mission at last

Cable cutters in hand as I prepare to chop the loom and mount the ECU in the nose (no room in the tail with the carbon undertray oil breather) I am also minded to mount the ignition switch in the tail behind the seat button instead of dumping it but lets see and where do I find a neat rubber covered toggle switch to mount up front as my main ignition on/off?

I purchased the loom + SP4 injectors off a race bike from Stefan but the ECU was gone already so we are unsure what was fitted.
    The loom has an extra toggle switch fitted which I was told was a mapping switch to rich up the mixture but it appears to switch the radiator fan off/on (any thoughts)
    The injector set is the same as one Phil111 pictured a while ago as a race set green injectors with white tips with neat carbon injector holders that no doubt save masses of weight.

Oh and the main question:

Do I need to make any loom modifications as I now have the P8 Ecu I was looking for.

Thoughts on a postcard

Thanks in advance guy851

Quote Originally Posted by guy851 View Post
    The loom has an extra toggle switch fitted which I was told was a mapping switch to rich up the mixture but it appears to switch the radiator fan off/on (any thoughts)

hi guy i would say the switch is ... wait for it .....a switch that turns the fan on and off ... ( with this type of wisdom i,ll soon be reaching saint like status , just like Mr R )

spike

Steady Spike,
    News of my Saint like status hasn't reached here yet thank god!
    I did get your pm but fortunately my pc crashed before I hit the send button on my reply to your message, as I've resolved to cut back on my swearing this year...

Guy,
    The waterproof on-off toggle switch that you seek can be found quite easily if you have a yacht chandlers or a boat yard near to where you live?
    Or you could try Motowheels in the States who make/sell a switch that replaces the original ignition switch on Ducati's for trackday use which just plugs into the street bikes loom.
    I tried to put up a link to the part but it just comes back with their homepage.
    The chandlers would be a hell of a lot cheaper even with all the cash that yachties have to spare!!
    I used to build luxuary sail boats for a couple of years and it's a different world to the one that I inhabit.

As Spike has already said if the switch turns the fan on/off then that's probably what it's for, strange as race bikes aren't usually fitted with a fan, in fact the Corsa rads have no brackets or a thermo' switch to fit one??
    I haven't run a fan on my 851/916 on the road for the last 3 years without too many problems and it certainly wouldn't have been needed on a track bike.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post

As Spike has already said if the switch turns the fan on/off then that's probably what it's for, strange as race bikes aren't usually fitted with a fan, in fact the Corsa rads have no brackets or a thermo' switch to fit one??
    I haven't run a fan on my 851/916 on the road for the last 3 years without too many problems and it certainly wouldn't have been needed on a track bike.

Steve R

again as steve says there was no thermo on race bikes so if you wished to run a race set up on the road in traffic an electric fan manually operated would do the trick !! this is probably the loom you,ve aquired .. maybe .. i used to run an old series 2 landrover which was a tw*t for over heating so i fitted an extra fan which was manually operated .. still overheated but it occupied me for a weekend !!!!!

your humble servant spike the meak

Default fan switch and loom stuff

Thanks Spike and Mr R,

Guess its a fan switch then!
    Agreed that there was no switch or fan on the Corsa rads and I wish I had one...

One day but in the meantime I have a nice road rad (thanks loony888) and I recon it will do me just fine.

I am sort of expecting that when ECU and all the ground wires are in place the switch might do something different

And yes Steve there is a boatie shop down the road, top tip and I will go and have a lookie

Guy851

It may be the switch to toggle between two ECU maps as mentioned originally. Some of the race ECUs had a daughter board with a second chip containing a wet weather map, and a toggle switch to change from one to the other.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikesps View Post
    It may be the switch to toggle between two ECU maps as mentioned originally. Some of the race ECUs had a daughter board with a second chip containing a wet weather map, and a toggle switch to change from one to the other.

Mike
    there you go guy , thats the joy of this site theres always a more complicated answer ( sounds good to me )

spike

be seen red ......err just red ... oh and abit of white

+ Reply to Thread