+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 93/94 Endurance Spec

Cool 93/94 Endurance Spec

Does anyone know what the Endurance Speicification is for these bikes ?

I guess they needed lights , but what about tank and other parts ? We’re they detuned to give more longevity of engine life ?

Cool

I guess due to the lack of response there is no endurance specification ?

There wasn't an "endurance model" and not may were independently prepared for endurance racing either. Someone made side mounted housing for lights, but this is the only endurance 851 I'm specifically aware of.
    Attached Images
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

Here's a couple more shots. The first one has the side mounted lights I mentioned above.

The second one....well, not sure why anyone would want to build a replica of that. Ugh.
    Attached Images
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

Cool

# 19 looks like it has the fairings with the lighting pods fitted to the outers of the fairing ( probably still available ) but little all else. The other 2 are a little more involved, and for sure the one I think Falappa rode has the bigger tank. The earlier image is not too clear but it may have the same arrangement Tank wise. Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by nine16 View Post
    Here's a couple more shots. The first one has the side mounted lights I mentioned above.

The second one....well, not sure why anyone would want to build a replica of that. Ugh.
    I think the second one was ridden in Suzuka 8 hour race in Japan. They have a different taste over there and different sponsers.

If you look at a couple of other shots of the Japanese you’ll notice the mag alt cover. So it’s fair to say the engine specs would be as close to factory as they could get with the compression dropped off a tad in the hope it would hang together longer I’d guess.

The end of endurance racing was a strange sad time, markets were no longer interested in tried and proven methods, the hell with it, show time sold more bikes. Who’s going the fastest around a track in maximum audience attention span, and sell them cigarettes and alcohol.
    Ducati followed the money and cold shouldered endurance racing.
    I get endurance racing. I use to ride from Brisbane to Melbourne and back again a couple of times a year years ago. 800+ km a day sitting on 150-160kmph except in towns, and hanging out at 200kmph for ages just to relieve the boredom. Just laying on the tank, head on the tank bag, feet on the rear pegs, hooking along. Cost a fortune in interstate speeding fines No licence points in those days. Never had a major failure. That felt good.
    Would I do it on an 851/888, no chance. It wasn’t built for that. It was built for the new world order.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Cool

So we are all agreed there was no difinitive “ Endurance Specification “ just usually a converted bike road or race ?

That said the earlier bike with WSBK royalty riding it had a special tank, with what looked like a quick fill tank set up (2 filler caps in the tank and also taller) I guess to accomodate more fuel. So maybe there was a bit going on back in the late 80s early 90s. I guess a a bike fitted with a Fairing with lighting pods probably does no constitute Endurance Spec.

I attach a photo of Rosche / Falappa endurance bike.
    Raced in bol d'or in 1991, probably it's the same bike repainted for the 8h of suzuka whit the japan sponsor.

The Sazale bike ins't official, it's a private bike.

The spec for endurance:

-888 cm, the engine use a "street" piston with 11,6 compression ratio
    -Alloy cans, because the carbon fiber are too delicate
    -Alloy bigger tank, i saw one personally, and work similar a 916 bike, acting as a cover for airbox
    -The weigh is around 160 kg and the power output at crank was 132hp
    -If you note the bike using a four air duct in the front, the two lower needs to air cooling the engine for the rear cylinder, the upper two for the engine breathing (airbox)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ube; 02-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    My works: https://www.instagram.com/usg.design/

851 Tricolore Strada ex Lucky
    851 s.p.3 #153 STOLEN!
    851 s.p.3 #052
    M900 1993 "MangiaOlio"

+ Reply to Thread