+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mileage and Value

Default Mileage and Value

We all want a super low-mileage classic, which also brings a premium. The question is, at what mileage are values impacted?

For example, let's say you have two identical '92 851's Both are in flawless, original condition, both have service records and meticulous owners. One has 6K miles, the other has 20K miles. Would the bike with 6K miles have a significantly higher value, or are we talking within a thousand dollars?

Been watching sp models recently & think maybe 2-4k USD difference ? Really low milage could be double or more for really rare bikes.

I don't want super low mileage. I use mine, including track days. I've got over 25,000 miles on my 996R. In the last couple years I've also put several thousand miles each on the NSR250 and the built 851.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

And if you have one with low miles on.
    Automatic you are not gonna drive it much.
    Afraid to put miles on it and that it will loose value.

Henk!!!
    Last edited by henk; 11-01-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Basically already thinking of the re-sale value for the next guy..........it is a shame it is like this. Some guys spend years searching for just the right set of parts (NOS) , build the thing and sell. These bikes were meant to be ridden and hard as that is what they were designed for. The reasoning I guess is if they get worn out/break you cannot go to the Ducati dealer anymore and order the parts or even ask them to fix it. Even original body panles in good condition are getting hard to find should you have a crash. Luckily these babies are not so difficult once you get yourself into the 80/90,s mindset of how they were built and designed. Also from my experience your mindset changes as you get older. I was lucky to be in an industry that enabled me to buy a new 1989 911 Turbo for my 30th birthday and used it as my daily driver. 22 years later I was afraid to use it in case of resale as the market had made these things precious..........so I sold it. I say ride as much as you like but spread the mileage over a few bikes. Better than money in the Bank at the mo and are,nt they just lovely.

I agree with Paul aka dudlington,

These bikes were originally made to be used, to look on them as an investment for the future is completely missing the point IMHO!
    I have an old hack for everyday use and a few Classics to enjoy on sunny days, weekends away or the odd holiday jaunt.
    I've been all over Europe ridding Ducati's over the last 40+years, also ridding quite a few other makes of bike...
    You can't put a price or worry about the resale value of that experience... Again IMHO.

Steve R

Apparently the future does not look good for the petrol engined dinosaurs so I say lets organise more meet ups/excuses to ride these things while we still have our freedom (1984) and are allowed . I,m in Belgium so anybody wanting to trip over for half an excuse for some B,B and more B is more than welcome. Bring your tent , I have a farm of sorts.

+ Reply to Thread