+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Rear Tyre size for a 6" rim?

Yes of course I'll put the final wet weight up when it's all back together.

At the moment the bikes is stripped down whilst I carry out the latest mod's, it's got a spare set of cases, heads and barrels in it, so I could work out how to fit the ST4S swinging arm and check the clearance of the 50mm Spaghetti system to the arm.
    It needed a fair bit of modifying both the arm and the rear header to make it all fit.
    I also had to have my shock modified to suit, which ended up with a pretty much bespoke shock being made by MAXTON to get the Ohlins 25mm shorter.

When the new wheels arrive (expected around the new year), I'll get some tyres on them, mount them and then it's off to Maidstone MotoLiner to check/or correct anything out of line.
    Then I'll strip it again to get the frame recoated white, it's very dirty white with chips/rust spots at the moment, with lots of grey primer where I've cut off or modified the lugs and done a bit of welding.

Before my latest round of weight loss/mod's at it's last MOT, it weighed in at under 380lbs fully wet with 17 litres of fuel. I forget exactly how much under, I was just chuffed it was finally under 380.
    This was with alloy 5 spoke Brembo/Marchesini's and quite a few heavier parts fitted.

Steve R

Cool

Before my latest round of weight loss/mod's at it's last MOT, it weighed in at under 380lbs fully wet with 17 litres of fuel. I forget exactly how much under, I was just chuffed it was finally under 380.
    This was with alloy 5 spoke Brembo/Marchesini's and quite a few heavier parts fitted.

Now at 172 Kg fully wet that is very very light..........with possibly 5kg less being achievable...... Nice job.

Now where is my set of drills , looks like I might have to get drastic.

Are we doing a rider/bike combo ?.

Not unless I starve myself for 6 months.
    A few years ago now I lost around 5 stone but as old(er) age creeps up (I'm 61 now) most of that has slowly crept back on...BOLLOX!

A few years back now I built a 916cc 851 motor that was in a pretty soft state of tune, but it still kicked out 128 rwbhp @ 9,2-300 rpm and 76.8 ftlbs, with a very straight power graph without any dips and a flat torque curve.

Here's the graph:-
    http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...-alive!!/page3

I expect similar results from this 955 motor but with a bit more everywhere, because of the cams 9*6 SPS T1's and cam timing I intend to use are the same as in that 916cc motor...….
    Which's why I think the power/torque figures I'm hoping to hit aren't that much in the realms of fantasy.

A few years ago now a former forum member Neil Mason built a 851/955cc with 36/30 valves, it made around 136 rwbhp.
    But he used 431/G cams both of these being Corse cams and his peak power came in at around 12,000+ rpm.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 11-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudlington View Post

Now at 172 Kg fully wet that is very very light..........with possibly 5kg less being achievable...... Nice job.

Now where is my set of drills , looks like I might have to get drastic.

Are we doing a rider/bike combo ?.
    Paul you might not have to get too drastic, but it's the attention to detail that finally gets results.
    "Many a mickle makes a muckle" as the old saying goes.
    Today I've been lightening Mag' Corse parts, to loose a few more grams.
    Also stripping out my 916SP heads (that I used on my 851/916) after having a belt let go and bending 4 valves.
    I'm getting these skimmed by 0.8mm and fitting them with 36/31mm valves, they were running 35/30's.

Any advance on the weight of your SP4?

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 11-08-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Any advance on the weight of your SP4 ?

Now I,ve just got the weighing machine, here are the weights of my 119851

Bike 1. Front wheel 89 Kg , Rear wheel 84 Kg for a total of 173 Kg with water , oil but no fuel. I,m running a standard battery at the mo as the lithium batteries crap out so there is at least 5 Kg I can junk. However that still leaves some weight to go. Nice to know. I,ll try and weigh one of the other bikes.

O.K. Just weighed the SP4 with the 1036 Testerstretta engine.

Bike 2. Front wheel 94 Kg , Rear wheel 92 Kg for a total of 186 Kg with water , oil but no fuel. This one has a Lithium battery but has crapped out.

Now the spec on bike 1. and bike 2. is pretty much the same except bike 1. has the more modern engine , Carbon bodywork and Mag wheels. Bike 2. is running Carbon wheels and GF bodywork.

Both bikes have all the road junk , lights , indicators , horn , starter, ignition , side stand plus all of the electrics that go with it.

To be honest it is hard to see where another 10 Kgs can be shaved off both bikes.
    Last edited by dudlington; 11-08-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Hi Paul,

I'm running Shindengen Mosfet's with Lithium batteries on both my tuned 851 and '79 900SS.
    It's been a couple of years now, with many thousands of miles on both bikes and they've both been bullet proof so far.
    As in absolutely NO problems to report!
    I'm lightening Magnesium cam support blocks on the pulley side, as I've decided to ditch the cam belt inner and outer covers, I've gone this far so it seems silly not to go the whole hog.
    That's a few more grams/oz's been chucked in the bin.
    I've just to treat the now lighter parts with some "Gun Kote" and then a flash over with Zinc Chromate Green to totally seal them against the elements...
    Then it's Job Done and time to fit them.

I've got to do something whilst waiting for my new Marvic's to arrive.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Steve,

I was talking with Mark the other day asking about weights. He said that the early corse bikes weighed in around 310-320 lbs. the later bikes were heavier because the rules dictated a minimum weight so the later bikes had lead weights on them
    Marvin,

The 310-320lbs was a claimed fully dry weight.
    So once you add the weight of fuel, oil, coolant, hydraulic fluid, suspension fluid and battery acid.
    How heavy do you think they would weigh then?
    I'd guess that they would be pretty close to a fully wet weight of 350lbs.

Steve R

+ Reply to Thread