+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Me again, another SP3 I've been oggling !

Default Me again, another SP3 I've been oggling !

http://www.cotswoldcars.com/motorcycles/ducati-888-sp3

Trying to learn more about these bikes & the comments on the last one were very enlightening.
    More miles but seems to be a more 'honest example ??

Quote Originally Posted by KEV900SL View Post
    http://www.cotswoldcars.com/motorcycles/ducati-888-sp3

Trying to learn more about these bikes & the comments on the last one were very enlightening.
    More miles but seems to be a more 'honest example ??
    Hi Kev

Just had a quick look at that SP3 - I'm not really an expert, but it looks as you say, more honest example. The vendors are quite up front in saying it would benefit from a bit of TLC, depends whether that appeals to you. The only bit I didn't think was right was the badging on the tailpiece - mine says 851, not 888. It also hasn't got the AGIP stickers on the fairings, but I think some did, some didn't; they may even have been a dealer-fitted thing.

Looking at their web site, that 944 Superlight from Baines Racing looks rather nice (cue outrage from the purists!) as well (but it's not an SP3...).
    Last edited by AndrewS; 09-30-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Think I've seen one with 888 on the tail before, on European site somewhere. Think you may have a point about dealers adding sticker to tempt sales or owner added this later.

I have a fairly standard (exhausts & open airbox) yellow mk3 superlight, would be really interested in how that bike rides in comparison, another 20 bhp would make mine a real world fast road bike.

The 1st SP's to be badged as 888's were the SP4's.

Steve R

Tail has been painted as it is not original. Top badge is screwed on ..........should be riveted. The question here is why would anyone do that ????.

Seller does not have a clue SP3 STRADA , whats that ?. 35,000 miles but the speedo is in Km/hour.

Looks like it would need a complete resto as it looks a bit scabby...............however certainly useable.

It would need a service and belts as it is wearing an old dtyle tax disc suggesting when it was last ridden (On the road). Price does not seem over the top but to make it a concours bike would need a lot of work and money. Throw in an offer of 1000 less and see if he nibbles.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Hi Kev

It also hasn't got the AGIP stickers on the fairings, but I think some did, some didn't; they may even have been a dealer-fitted thing.
    Could be, since those Agip decals are the only decals not covered with the transparant coating. All the others decals are. I still think those decals were put on there in the factory though and were not dealer fitted.

The tail is absolutely not OEM. It should state 851 on a white background.

Thanks for the input chaps, I am still trying to justify the cost of these bikes with conscience !

Starting to think along the lines of stacking my pennies for another year & then selling Superlight as well. Better to buy the best example I can afford, always seems a lot more expensive when you get involved in a work in progress jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by KEV900SL View Post
    Thanks for the input chaps, I am still trying to justify the cost of these bikes with conscience !

Starting to think along the lines of stacking my pennies for another year & then selling Superlight as well. Better to buy the best example I can afford, always seems a lot more expensive when you get involved in a work in progress jobs.
    Sounds like a plan to me - try to stack the pennies as fast as you can though, the asking prices (which I accept might not reflect the selling prices!) for the SP bikes aren't going down...
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Priced dropped to 9.5k I'm very tempted to view, but timing is bad for me !

+ Reply to Thread