+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Expert eyes opinion of this bike

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    +1 to that - pity about the reservoirs on the top yoke, can't really put that back to original as you'd leave two holes in the yoke...
    Andrew it is really easy to find a top yoke from the 900/750/600 ss series of bikes and bore out for the Ohlins , then measure up and drill the 2 holes for the top plaque...........Voila back to standard. I would even swap that top yoke(with resevoirs) for a standard one should someone buy the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dudlington View Post
    Andrew it is really easy to find a top yoke from the 900/750/600 ss series of bikes and bore out for the Ohlins , then measure up and drill the 2 holes for the top plaque...........Voila back to standard. I would even swap that top yoke(with resevoirs) for a standard one should someone buy the bike.
    OK, never thought of it like that.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Thanks all ! Didn't even notice the head stock wiring.
    Probaly going to be made redundant soon from day job & SP3 isn't top of familys priority list (selfish swines !) & would really like to keep my superlight as well.
    I'm using a picture of a similar SP3 for motivational material to get new business off ground. Hope prices donít outstrip my saving capabilities !

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KEV900SL View Post
    Thanks all ! Didn't even notice the head stock wiring.
    Probaly going to be made redundant soon from day job & SP3 isn't top of familys priority list (selfish swines !) & would really like to keep my superlight as well.
    I'm using a picture of a similar SP3 for motivational material to get new business off ground. Hope prices donít outstrip my saving capabilities !

Kev
    Kev - sorry to hear that, hope things turn out OK.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by KEV900SL View Post
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123022303690

I am very green regarding SP 888 bikes, what's the verdict on this one ? Am I right in believing that original cans are almost impossible to source these day & really a set of replica cans should be used if it's a rider ?
    Only looking on 'research terms' at moment, but if & when I'm in position want a rider condition bike.
    Thanks in advance Kev
    Just looking at the pictures in that ad again - what is the small gauge to the upper right of the main instrument cluster?
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Probably a voltmeter.

Quote Originally Posted by sagot View Post
    Probably a voltmeter.
    That does not look like an electrical cable going to that guage.............more than likely an oil temp guage.

When I buy one of these motorcycles I want it original in all ... this one has strange parts fitted, I have many doubts.
    however the most important and delicate part remains the engine ... and if you do not know well well the seller is lucky.
    this ducati sp3 does not inspire confidence and I would not take it.
    sooner or later the bike is coming, you have to be patient ..
    Ducati 851 sp2 1990 - Ducati 996s monoposto (Sps engine ) - Honda 750 four k2 1972 - Bmw k100 1986

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
    When I buy one of these motorcycles I want it original in all ... this one has strange parts fitted, I have many doubts.
    however the most important and delicate part remains the engine ... and if you do not know well well the seller is lucky.
    this ducati sp3 does not inspire confidence and I would not take it.
    sooner or later the bike is coming, you have to be patient ..
    Lakeman attached is the cockpit view of the bike. I think you are right to be suspicious. I notice things that suggest a racing past. Reservoirs on top yoke (With protection on the pipes) , added oil temp , damage to the instrument cluster by the light panel and inst bezel and also I missed it earlier but the front fairing bracket has something wrong with it. On the RH side front fixing for the mirror (Stainless steel lock nut) you can clearly see it is fixed through the fairing only. This should also be fixed through the fairing bracket foot.........suggesting either this was cut off or it is the wrong bracket ???.

Quote Originally Posted by dudlington View Post
    Lakeman attached is the cockpit view of the bike. I think you are right to be suspicious. I notice things that suggest a racing past. Reservoirs on top yoke (With protection on the pipes) , added oil temp , damage to the instrument cluster by the light panel and inst bezel and also I missed it earlier but the front fairing bracket has something wrong with it. On the RH side front fixing for the mirror (Stainless steel lock nut) you can clearly see it is fixed through the fairing only. This should also be fixed through the fairing bracket foot.........suggesting either this was cut off or it is the wrong bracket ???.
    oh yes dudlington, I agree with you in everything!you say and all this we see only from simple photos, live, it could even be worse ...
    then you should remove the plate and put it on a new handlebar and much more.
    no I would not take it for nothing ...
    Ducati 851 sp2 1990 - Ducati 996s monoposto (Sps engine ) - Honda 750 four k2 1972 - Bmw k100 1986

+ Reply to Thread