+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Resurrection

ducati, probably 15 years ago.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    this is what came out of the radiator when i was washing it out. i'm guessing it's bits of thermostat.

Well, you made me paranoid now Brad. My SPO has always ran hot in the summers since I've had it. I want to go tear my thermostat off and check it. Certain I haven't changed it since I've owned it. (20 years now.) And like yours, it sat, albeit in boxes, for around 13 years as well!

it'd be more likely the radiator i'd think. a bad thermostat would run hot all the time.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

I cured this problem years ago...
    I don't run a thermostat on my bikes, that way they can't F'ck up!
    It just takes a bit longer to warm up the motor.

Steve R

Be careful on that one Steve, as global warming turns the planet into an life style more suited to camels, you may run foul of a misconception of my youth. Driving our al cheapo cars around inevitably the thermostat would die as coolant was for the wealthy folk and the water was pure. The thermostat removal was a quick cheap fix. However the engine would then run hotter. The cause as pointed out in a aviation coarse by an instructor who knew young lads all too well, the coolant is moving faster due to less restrictive flow and doesn’t spend as much time in the radiator to have heat exchanges efficiently.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

the cooling system seems to work very nicely now with all the new stuff, so i'm happy with that.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Working cooling systems are always good.

This bike sounded absolutely stunning in that youtube video. Sorry I am a little late to the party but I couldn't hold back the urge to compliment it.

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Be careful on that one Steve, as global warming turns the planet into an life style more suited to camels, you may run foul of a misconception of my youth. Driving our al cheapo cars around inevitably the thermostat would die as coolant was for the wealthy folk and the water was pure. The thermostat removal was a quick cheap fix. However the engine would then run hotter. The cause as pointed out in a aviation coarse by an instructor who knew young lads all too well, the coolant is moving faster due to less restrictive flow and doesn’t spend as much time in the radiator to have heat exchanges efficiently.
    Griff,
    In the past I've run a genuine 888 Corsa rad' without any problems, until it's fins were bent beyond reasonable expectation to work well enough anymore.
    I now run a new Pace custom made rad', that's soo much more efficient than the old Corsa item that I have to gaffer tape off the middle 6" (up and down) to raise the temp', unless it's a very hot day here in the UK.
    Both of these rad's have been run without a thermostat or any fan/fans on a motor kicking out a genuine 130 rwbhp.
    I've only once so far had to jump off the bike in traffic and tear off the gaffer tape, this was on a very hot day in traffic whilst filtering through Liverpool on the way to the ferry for the IOM TT.
    The Corsa 851/888/926's never ran a thermostat as far as I know???

Steve R

i checked the fuel pressure, and it was fine, so i really don't know why this thing has the shits. i wish i'd never moved away from the wall it now.

i think i'll put a p8 in it so i can at least hook some diagnostics up to it.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

i decided to fit a p8 ecu so that i would have some diagnostics to see what the inputs were doing, and used a modified version of an 888 eprom. pulling the single seat base off every time i want to swap an eprom really shits me - flashing ecu is so much easier than this last century manual shit. i fitted the ecu in a rush to make it nicer to ride before actually going for a ride to met someone, so i didn't get to play with anything else.

it still idles crap, with lots of o2 and hc on the 4 gas analyser - like it has large closing clearances. allegedly i fixed that. i didn't give it a leak down test, maybe i need to see if it just has leaky valves instead.

when i get some free time at the end of the year maybe i'll strip it and do the valve clearances again and refit the original radiator so i can keep the "new" one new-ish. if the valves are leaky sensibly i'd fit the 748 heads i have, but i'm so over working on this thing and wish i'd never touched it now that anything like that will be way past my tolerance threshold i think.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

+ Reply to Thread