+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Plug leads??

I've found over the years that the bikes seem to run better on Champion plugs...none resistor type....NGK'R' type always seem to give me running problems. Ducatis owner manual actually recommends champion plugs....way back when they were new. As long ago as that is. Also plugs leads can brake down with age and not being used (possibly dampness/moisture) dependant where the bike is stored. Just speaking from experience of owning for the last 26 years. Hope this helps.Thanks.

Regards ,adie851

Quote Originally Posted by adie851 View Post
    I've found over the years that the bikes seem to run better on Champion plugs...none resistor type....NGK'R' type always seem to give me running problems. Ducatis owner manual actually recommends champion plugs....way back when they were new. As long ago as that is. Also plugs leads can brake down with age and not being used (possibly dampness/moisture) dependant where the bike is stored. Just speaking from experience of owning for the last 26 years. Hope this helps.Thanks.

Regards ,adie851
    Hi mate, Ive done another 100 or more miles and alls good, Bikes running perfect, Was a strange one, All i done was change plugs, New eprom and ran a tank of fuel with injector/ fuel system cleaner,

Ive since treated her to a nice 48 tooth EVR basket and plate kit, Sounds luvly now, What a noise was of the standard steel basket and plates

we got told to pull the champions at first service and fit ngk. i've only ever used ngk in them.

i sometimes find the plug cap bit works its way up the lead away from the plug. if you get some silicon spray in around the lead from both ends and can get it to move - try to push it out the top first, if you pull the terminal tends to just come off. then pull it down to the bottom so you can push it on to the plug and then have the outer go down to level with the head.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Many years ago now I raced Yamaha TZ350's and Triumph Trident's inc' a Rob North.
    Back then Champions were the plug of choice but...
    I had soooooo many dud ones that I went over to NGK's.
    I also tried for some time ND's but...
    My "go to" plugs on Classic Bevel Ducati's now are IridiumIX NGK'S.
    These plugs use/need a larger gap, they way to find out the best gap is to put them in with the supplied gap and try the bike, then increase the gaps by 2 thou steps until the motor misfires and then go back 2 thou...and that's your best gap for performance period!
    However a few years back (more than 10 possibly 15?) I tried in my Desmoquatro's surface discharge Champion 299 QA55V's...
    Now back in the day when 916SP/SPS were the new kings on the block, these were the "go to" OEM plugs but they cost around 28 each FFS!
    If you search the internet you can pick them up in a pack of four for around 5-7.00 each.
    You don't have to play around going up in 2 thou steps, they're spot on out of the box IME.
    So if your 748/851/888/926/916/955 or 996 is highly tuned or standard, I doubt very much that you will find better plugs for your bikes.
    I've found them to be 100% reliable and will give the best performance that your Desmoquatro will need.

As for plug leads/caps?
    There's nothing wrong with the OEM ones on our bikes but...
    They're now well over 20 years old so well past their sell by date IMO. Later 916/996 ones fit if you buy 2 of the longer ones (they come as standard with one short one and one long one), you can make them fit and you should have another 20+ years of serious use out of them.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 05-20-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Funny you should say that Steve, I've just got some of those plugs off the internet..they run good straight out of the box..just like you say..spot on for SP's ....

Cheers,adie851

As Brad states , the plug leads can be a problem , actually ensuring the end of the HT lead is actually making good contact with the plug inside the cap. Also is a problem due the length of the reach down to the plug inside the cylinder head. His ideas are ones I've used over the years to help resolve misfire/ plugs problems.

cheers. adie851

+ Reply to Thread