+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plug leads??

Default Plug leads??

Ive an issue thats appeared on the 888, It seems to be loosing spark on one cylinder, Running crap, It will clear for a minute then back the same again,

Ive ordered a new set of plugs and thought ide through a set of leads on at same time,
    Can anyone recommend leads to go for?? I have read on the forum that High Resistance leads is a no no??( they can cause issues ) Had been looking at the magnacor leads

Only Thing i done was give the bike a good wash before going out and 2 mins later the issue appears( could be a complete coincidence??)

Any thoughts?? Going to stick the plugs and leads on ether way so appreciate advice on leads.

One other thing, Once ive her running tip top again i was thinking of running a tank with Redline fuel system cleaner for motorcycles , Good idea or not??

Cheers Jack

Cleaning injectors is always a good idea, ultrasonic being about the best, because you get a before and after report.
    Water is high in the list but should evaporate away, if it was manky enough it could leave gunge and short out a plug. The good lord gave us a twin system so you can swap bits to isolate the cause. Alway a good idea to confirm a fault first before leaping in changing bits on speculation. Saves time and cash in the long run.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Cleaning injectors is always a good idea, ultrasonic being about the best, because you get a before and after report.
    Water is high in the list but should evaporate away, if it was manky enough it could leave gunge and short out a plug. The good lord gave us a twin system so you can swap bits to isolate the cause. Alway a good idea to confirm a fault first before leaping in changing bits on speculation. Saves time and cash in the long run.
    Cheers mate,
    Going to try it today just to see if ok, If it was an issue with water is there common places to check on these bikes?
    Plugs and leads is something ive planned doing anyway so going to fit these

Not really. Canít say iíve ever had issues after a wash.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Think i will forget about the new leads, Ive just taking out both plugs and there both damp and VERY sooted/ black, Plugs ive taken out are NGK Platinum D9EVX (2834) measured gaps and there both around 0.85mm, ( owners manual states 0.6mm) Maybe platinum plugs are bigger gaps??

Bike bone dry with no water in site,

Ordered 2 new plugs of the correct type and see how it goes but think with both plugs all black and sooted that rules out leads and coils etc, Stick these new plugs in and take it from there,

Any idea lads??

I would say you need to get the bike tuned and serviced. Itís over fueling. Your exhausts are black and when you blip the throttle there will be black smoke. Yes? Could be really dirty air filter, a sensor, wrong chip, trim on the ecu, the list goes on. You could play around with the guessing game hoping that a quick simple thing like changing plugs will solve it, but the reality is a fuel injected bike is not a lawn mower. Unless you willing to learn exactly how the whole show operates and have a multimeter and a gas analyser ( or a good sense of smell and hearing), you can spend a lot of unnecessary time and cash pissing about, when you could be out riding. Sorry for the harshness of my answer, but it will lead to joy sooner.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

I would say you need to get the bike tuned and serviced. It’s over fueling. Your exhausts are black and when you blip the throttle there will be black smoke. Yes? Could be really dirty air filter, a sensor, wrong chip, trim on the ecu, the list goes on. You could play around with the guessing game hoping that a quick simple thing like changing plugs will solve it, but the reality is a fuel injected bike is not a lawn mower. Unless you willing to learn exactly how the whole show operates and have a multimeter and a gas analyser ( or a good sense of smell and hearing), you can spend a lot of unnecessary time and cash pissing about, when you could be out riding. Sorry for the harshness of my answer, but it will lead to joy sooner.
    Hi mate, Ive already fitted a new filters, belts, oil, clearances are all in speck etc etc Your answers not harse at all, Im just waiting for word back on getting the correct eprom, Ive a funny feeling that before i got the bike the open exhaust was fitted and not fitted the eprom to match this which will cause it to over fuel at the lower end of the revs anyway,

As far as eproms go is there any where you recommend?? UK??

Brad will have one, here in Oz, probably the same cost as in the UK postage included. Brad knows his stuff.
    The difference in mufflers is only about 5% over the map, Its not really enough to give you wet plugs, to the point that one craps out. Something else going on there I feel. As youíve having fun, perhaps a quick look around for plugs sensors and hoses might be in order.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Brad will have one, here in Oz, probably the same cost as in the UK postage included. Brad knows his stuff.
    The difference in mufflers is only about 5% over the map, Its not really enough to give you wet plugs, to the point that one craps out. Something else going on there I feel. As youíve having fun, perhaps a quick look around for plugs sensors and hoses might be in order.
    Got her stripped and slowly going over the bike connections etc,

I managed to get the correct eprom ordered earlier from the guy from Germany that has the P-line eproms on ebay, They seem to get good reveiws, Ether way im happier to know the correct chips in there,

What i have found out is that the eprom in the bike is for open pipes but for the earlier 851, My bike has the P7 ecu so the new p-line chip will match up fine,

Its a pitty cos i was hoping for a quick fix as i wont get to the bike much this week and would have luved to take her along to my local bike club meet/ run this Sunday coming, We really only have the one big meet each year up here, Maybe the Streetfighter will have to do,

Ive the workshop manual so maybe do a bit of reading later tonight

Little update here,
    Eprom came home from Germany this morn, Spent a couple hours in garage and fitted the new P-Line Eprom, New plugs and tank of fuel with fuel system/ injector cleaner, Didnt find any corrosion on any electrical parts, All good,

Anyway 125 miles later and bingo, Shes running absolutely perfect, From the minute i pressed the starter button and she fired into life she sounded/ felt different,
    I gave the silencer exits a good scrub before i started the bike and there still looking well after the good run, Doesnt smoke on start up ether,

A little surprised but delighted,

Ive gone and ordered all the bits and bobs for making up a diagnostic light so may come in handy later down the line,

Have a 90 mile club run tomorrow Forecast is terrible

Cheers for advice, Is appreciated

Jack

+ Reply to Thread