+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No brake lights

Default No brake lights

Hi Guys,
    I have an SP3 that currently has no brake lights. I have replaced the bulb. If I put the lights on, the rear lights up fine. If I use the front or rear brake levers, no brake lights.
    Any ideas on what to check next?
    Many thanks.

Jiggle the bulb with your foot on the brake, you may need to clean the contacts. Pull the plugs, look for furrys, reconnect. After that, multimeter or a light bulb and a couple of bits of wire and a power source. The circuit is power to both switch’s, both switch’s are to earth via the bulb. The earth at the bulb is good because tail light goes on.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Thanks Griff. There's no fuses or relays in the path? Cheers

i often pull the globe and bend the tabs to give more loading. get a test light and see if there is power there.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    i often pull the globe and bend the tabs to give more loading. get a test light and see if there is power there.
    Hi Brad, Tried that over the weekend. Checked everything I could, still no joy. Looks like I'll be seeing you soon...

Had this a few times , first check the brake filament on the bulb that it is not broken , if o.k. then take 2 paperclips and bend to form a U shape. Take off both the 2 pin connectors for both brakes and insert the paperclips. Then move to the back of the bike and start fiddling (If a bulb is on it will be hot so use thick gloves)............chances are some fiddling will show something happening (Of course the bulb needs to be inserted in the correct way so that both the raised portions on the back of the bulb are in contact with the 2 copper connections (Make sure these are clean and apply pressure). If all of this still does not solve the problem them trace the wire back to the connection that should run on the LH side of the bike. Open and close this connection a few times to clean............after that it is something major. Personally it always seems to be either the bulb or the connection in the light unit. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread