+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paddock stand??

Default Paddock stand??

Any advice on a nice and secure paddock stand for the front?? Ive got 2 front stands, Ones a cracking stand that ive always used on all my bikes but its frightening trying to lift the front of the 888, Last thing i want is the girl lying on her side, Maybe an abba type stand for the frame?? Do these mark the frame at all??

Any advice appreciated,
    Cheers Jack

Default Paddock stand??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack888 View Post
    Any advice on a nice and secure paddock stand for the front?? Ive got 2 front stands, Ones a cracking stand that ive always used on all my bikes but its frightening trying to lift the front of the 888, Last thing i want is the girl lying on her side, Maybe an abba type stand for the frame?? Do these mark the frame at all??

Any advice appreciated,
    Cheers Jack
    Iíve no problems using the Abba stand for general work but use the stand designed to fit in the bottom of the headstock when removing forks, front wheel etc, it raises the front wheel off the ground completely.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a couple of these.
    Stand

No issues, just check they have the correct pin for the yoke stem.
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tric View Post
    Iíve no problems using the Abba stand for general work but use the stand designed to fit in the bottom of the headstock when removing forks, front wheel etc, it raises the front wheel off the ground completely.

Paul

+1 for the Abba stand - works fine with an SP3, doesn't mark the frame. There is an add-on which lifts the front wheel off the ground, but I only used it a couple of times when I had an S1000RR, probably more trouble than it's worth, possibly the sort of stand Stafford refers to might be better?

Andrew
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    +1 for the Abba stand - works fine with an SP3, doesn't mark the frame. There is an add-on which lifts the front wheel off the ground, but I only used it a couple of times when I had an S1000RR, probably more trouble than it's worth, possibly the sort of stand Stafford refers to might be better?

Andrew
    The one Stafford uses is the one Iíve got, you just need the correct pin to fit the yolk. Iíve a selection for my 888 ST and 1098.
    Paul

If buying an ABBA stand buy the adaptors for an SS. I bought an 851 stand and the adaptors were too short to clear the foot pegs. ABBA swapped them for SS adaptors and they fit fine. I also bought the bar to lift the front wheel but haven't have a need to use it yet so can't comment, other than it seems more of a hassle than a normal front stand but would give better access if needed.

To answer an earlier question, they do not mark the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by STANG View Post
    If buying an ABBA stand buy the adaptors for an SS. I bought an 851 stand and the adaptors were too short to clear the foot pegs. ABBA swapped them for SS adaptors and they fit fine. I also bought the bar to lift the front wheel but haven't have a need to use it yet so can't comment, other than it seems more of a hassle than a normal front stand but would give better access if needed.

To answer an earlier question, they do not mark the frame.
    Regarding the bar to lift the front wheel, it does seem as if it would be a bit of hassle to use on the 851, because there's nowhere (obvious, to me anyway) to fix a bobbin or similar to put the strap round. This isn't an issue with the 1198S (SSSW) or the S1000RR (the swingarm is threaded to take a bobbin).

Has anyone actually used the arm on the 851 series bikes?
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Just ordered one of these, Hopefully its going to do the job, Front stand i have should work fine with this fitted
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centre-Pa...53.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Regarding the bar to lift the front wheel, it does seem as if it would be a bit of hassle to use on the 851, because there's nowhere (obvious, to me anyway) to fix a bobbin or similar to put the strap round. This isn't an issue with the 1198S (SSSW) or the S1000RR (the swingarm is threaded to take a bobbin).

Has anyone actually used the arm on the 851 series bikes?
    As said, I haven't used mine on the 851 but mine has bobbins which I could use but I'd probably put the strap around the swingarm. If I was removing the rear wheel or swingarm I'd use the passenger footrest, rear grabrail or remove the rear bodywork and use the subframe. It only needs to be somewhere strong enough to balance the weight of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack888 View Post
    Just ordered one of these, Hopefully its going to do the job, Front stand i have should work fine with this fitted
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centre-Pa...53.m2749.l2649
    Looks very like an Abba stand in principal so sure it'll work fine, and much cheaper. A longer lifting arm would make life easier though, the Abba one is telescopic. If the "threaded bolts" are threaded to the ends that you put in the swingarm pivot it may damage the surface. The Abba one has well fitting smooth pins that screw onto the ends of the "bolts" and locate quite tightly in the swingarm pivot.

+ Reply to Thread