+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Project

Threaded View

Default New Project

A while back I bought a wrecked '04 S4R 996 Monster to build up and sell. I finally got around to it. Pics of it when I got it, engine apart, Primered parts. I am going to paint it similar to the factory version, Blue with white stripes except I am going to paint it Black Cherry with the stripes. This paint is House of Kolor Urethane. First a black base coat, then thinned down silver pearl (sort of a pearly charcoal), then Kandy Brandywine. the wheels are already painted gloss white Urethane. The frame was OK but no title so it was less expensive to buy a 2000 S4 frame with a title than to jump through all of the hoops to get the original frame titled. I will try and update as the project progresses for those interested.
    Attached Images

Excellent. So did you start with a new tank or did you give the old one the ol' beat and Bondo?
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

I decided that fixin' the old one was too big of a job so I bought one on Ebay. Steel from a S4. the S4RS tanks and later are plastic and we know what ethanol does to those tanks!!

Like this one ?
    Attached Images

Yes, similar. That one is a S4RS with testastretta engine in it. (mine has a 996 Desmoquattro engine in it, S4R) I have an exhaust similar to that one except they are FBF Titanium, no Cat. converter,

P.S. Correction. That one looks like a S4R, probably a 2006. Some of the later ones had the Testastretta engine in them The S4RS , I believe, made it's debut in 2007, although that one has the S4RS badge on the tank??. I have that engine in my 851.
    Last edited by marvin; 04-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Marvin

It is a genuine 2005 S4RS , it says on the tank and the clocks. I bought it from the original owner 10 years ago. I bought years ago an injection system from a 999 to fit to give a few more horses.......but too many other projects so never got around to it. They are great bikes for being a holligan on and 140 Hp at the crank is actually more than enough for real time riding. I,ve got a 1036 Testerstretta engine in one of my SP4,s chucking out over 160Hp at the rear wheel.......nice !!!!. Carbon tank has sprung a leak so it has been off the road a year trying to get it fixed. Interesting about the plastic tanks on these Monsters..............they grow in length over time making it difficult to unlatch at the front and get back in place. The same thing happened to a friend of mine as well as to this bike. The thing was his was in the lounge for 10 years with no fuel in it. It seems like about 4 - 5 mm . The solution is to slot the rear hinge bracket to allow it to go back the required distance.........more pressure on the seat but it works.

Good luck with the new project...............photos photos photos !!!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dudlington; 04-11-2018 at 01:42 PM.

NICE! I get confused with what year and what was standard. Plus, we don't always get the same things here in the US as in Europe.

FWIW, I don't think you want the 999 shower injectors. A friend loaned me his 999s, I put about 5K miles on it. Sure those 54mm shower injectors give you a few more HP up on top but the low end and throttle response absolutely sucks! Brad told me that with those showers at low throttle plate settings the gas just dribbles over the edge of the plates and nothing really happens until the revs get up high enough for the showers to actually work. He said on the newer ones they put traditional injector/injectors under the throttle plates to "fix" that problem. The stock 50mm TB's with the 12 hole pink injectors have lots more power down low and throttle response is much better.

P.S. If you want the shower injectors I would look for newer ones with the additional injectors. I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.

2nd P.S. If you want more power do as our area rep. for Ducati told me (also what Ducati told club racers to do, he said). Ignore the OEM valve settings and set both your intake and exhaust at .002" -.006" .004" being optimum. This along will give you a couple of more hp. Also advance your intake cams. I don't remember now but I think I advanced mine about 10 degrees. I can look it up if you want me to.
    Last edited by marvin; 04-11-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudlington View Post
    Marvin

It is a genuine 2005 S4RS , it says on the tank and the clocks. I bought it from the original owner 10 years ago. I bought years ago an injection system from a 999 to fit to give a few more horses.......but too many other projects so never got around to it. They are great bikes for being a holligan on and 140 Hp at the crank is actually more than enough for real time riding. I,ve got a 1036 Testerstretta engine in one of my SP4,s chucking out over 160Hp at the rear wheel.......nice !!!!. Carbon tank has sprung a leak so it has been off the road a year trying to get it fixed. Interesting about the plastic tanks on these Monsters..............they grow in length over time making it difficult to unlatch at the front and get back in place. The same thing happened to a friend of mine as well as to this bike. The thing was his was in the lounge for 10 years with no fuel in it. It seems like about 4 - 5 mm . The solution is to slot the rear hinge bracket to allow it to go back the required distance.........more pressure on the seat but it works.

Good luck with the new project...............photos photos photos !!!!
    Yes, fun bikes! I have ridden them. I have a '07 S4RS engine here, 999s crank, Carrillo rods, MBP collets, would just need good pistons. I also have a S4RS swingarm (same as S4R but anodized black,) a S4RS airbox, Spark exhaust header, etc. If I was going to keep it I would go that route but "for sale",,,,wouldn't pay my time.

I thought "without gas" the tank would shrink back down to original size.???

They make not half bad Aluminium tanks in India, perhaps you could search ebay for the contact and get them to make one. Relatively cheap. We have one on the 250 and Pete has another on an RT.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Default paint

It was 80 degrees here yesterday (in the 50's today) so I got the stripes/clear on the S4R. Still have to rub it out. Here are a couple of pics.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread