+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alan Cathcart's 851 Superbike Edizione 11/1987 for sale...

Default Alan Cathcart's 851 Superbike Edizione 11/1987 for sale...

Came across this on another Ducati Forum, thought it might be of interest. Not exactly cheap but rather nice? Seems there is some debate as to whether it's a Kit bike or "just" a Tricolore.
    https://silodrome.com/ducati-851/
    Now, where's my lottery numbers...

Edit - here is a link to the Auction listing: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2449...gth=100&page=4

Another edit - reading some of the replies on this, maybe I'll spend the lottery winnings on something else. I wish!
    Last edited by AndrewS; 03-31-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

The estimation is ridiculous, "Strada" version, unoriginal Marchesini wheels, unoriginal rear disc, unoriginal engine (the clutch is later version), no oil cooler, kit pipes and kit fairing, the tank is a repainted 89 or later version without the plastic strap rear the triple clamp, the plastic plate older came from later version (note the ole for the turns), also the instrumentation came from a kit version...

A shine puzzle made whit three different bikes, absolutely unprofessional restoration.

If the value estimated is right to the owner, mine owned by Marco Lucchinelli should be worth how much?
    Last edited by Ube; 03-31-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    851 Tricolore Strada ex Lucky
    851 s.p.3 #153 STOLEN!
    851 s.p.3 #052
    M900 "MangiaOlio"

My blog: http://l-twins.blogspot.com/

Has it still got the green wire or green rubber band holding the battery on? I seem to remember a lot of things hose clamped into place as well, real race bike stuff. Have you got any pics without the fairing? I saw it once in a mag, and have never seen another pic since.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Has it still got the green wire or green rubber band holding the battery on? I seem to remember a lot of things hose clamped into place as well, real race bike stuff. Have you got any pics without the fairing? I saw it once in a mag, and have never seen another pic since.
    Moderator - "ducati-dad" and I seems to have posted the same link in different sections of the Forum. Is it worth combining them (assuming that is possible here)?
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Surprised no one has mentioned that the swing arm isn't braced either. And where is the steering damper?
    Last edited by acace; 03-31-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Guess you have to read both threads on this subject, unless they're combined...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Moderator - "ducati-dad" and I seems to have posted the same link in different sections of the Forum. Is it worth combining them (assuming that is possible here)?
    Only administrators have that ability. Probably not worth worrying about.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Griff, come on, this is big! We don't get a chance very often to pick apart a way over priced Bonhams "collector bike" like the Bevelheads do with their hoity-toity Greenframes and sandcast GT's every few months. That bike has so much wrong with it, it's hard to know where to begin. It's shocking that Cathcart doesn't know better, but if he's going down, he probably deserves his own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Only administrators have that ability. Probably not worth worrying about.
    Any Admins reading this???
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    Griff, come on, this is big! We don't get a chance very often to pick apart a way over priced Bonhams "collector bike" like the Bevelheads do with their hoity-toity Greenframes and sandcast GT's every few months. That bike has so much wrong with it, it's hard to know where to begin. It's shocking that Cathcart doesn't know better, but if he's going down, he probably deserves his own thread.
    I've read a lot of very inaccurate articles by Alan Cathcart over the years, when it comes to technical stuff I'd be surprised if he actually knows which end of a spark plug goes into the motor.

Steve R

+ Reply to Thread