+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front brake layout on 1991 SP3...

Default Front brake layout on 1991 SP3...

Hello

Could some one post a diagram (or a link to one) for the original pipework for the front brakes on a '91 SP3? I think it has one line from the master cylinder to a sort of manifold.distribution block, then two lines, one to each caliper. I've got all the bits in a bag (got them with the bike years ago) but I'm not sure which goes where, and I'd like to put it back to original (I like original!).

Many thanks

Andrew
    Last edited by AndrewS; 03-11-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

If you ride your bike and value your life do not refit those hoses.. Even if those 27 year old hoses look ok they will ‘balloon’ under repeated moderate use and the first you will know about it will be your brake leaver hitting the handlebar without applying the brakes..

Trust me I found out the hard way when my original hoses ‘balooned’ back in the 90’s approaching Redgate corner at about 110mph😳😳

My original x3 hoses & splitter are safely stashed away and won’t be re-fitted during my period if ownership

Default Front brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by AJV View Post
    If you ride your bike and value your life do not refit those hoses.. Even if those 27 year old hoses look ok they will ‘balloon’ under repeated moderate use and the first you will know about it will be your brake leaver hitting the handlebar without applying the brakes..

Trust me I found out the hard way when my original hoses ‘balooned’ back in the 90’s approaching Redgate corner at about 110mph😳😳

My original x3 hoses & splitter are safely stashed away and won’t be re-fitted during my period if ownership
    Thanks for your reply and words of caution. Contrary to how my post can, I now realise, be read, I don't have a death wish and never had any intention of re-fitting the original rubber brake lines... I could have worded it better.

So, to start again. The (only) previous owner took off the original front brake plumbing and fitted a single braided line down next to the right fork, with a tee-piece to supply the left hand caliper; he used some rather tasteful (not!) red and blue anodised fittings as well. I think it's particularly the anodised bits that jarr with me (and have actually been mentioned as Advisories on a couple of MoT inspections). What I had in mind to do is/was to re-use the splitter, and use the rubber hoses as patterns to have some braided lines made - these would be stainless braided construction with a black covering - Goodridge and Hel both seem to offer kits for the SP3 but I'm not sure exactly what they contain - I've asked them. In a concession to modernity I'll probably use stainless bolts in place of the furry originals.

Now, at last, the questions. I have the splitter (I think I can figure out where that goes!) and three rubber pipes. Two of them have sharply angled fittings at the end, and I assume these pipes go from the splitter to the calipers. Which end attaches to the caliper? Which attaches to the top of the caliper - the hose or the bleed nipple (at the moment the bleed nipple is at the top)? The pictures workshop manual I have aren't very clear.

Thanks again.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post

Just hurry up and finish tearing her apart so you stop finding broken bits.
    SP3 #132
    1992 900 SS

Default Front brakes...

Many thanks, just what I needed!

Andrew
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

+ Reply to Thread