+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 851 brake lines/fittings

I have finally determined that union is 10x1mm on the caliper side, 1/8-28 BSPP on the hose size. Fittings have been sourced from Discount Hydraulic in Philadelphia. Thanks everyone for your help.

Holy crap!
    Could they make it harder please!!

Default Brake lines...

Quote Originally Posted by acace View Post
    I am restoring a kit bike and removing aftermarket braided brake lines and colorful anodized fittings to replace with original hoses. I have sourced an NOS set of front brake lines but am having a difficult time finding the union between the hose and caliper/distribution block. The threads on the caliper side are 10mm x1, but I have not been able to determine the thread on the hose side. It have tried 10x1, 10x1.25 and 10x1.5 unions but none thread correctly. Does anyone know what the hose threads are? Better still, where I might find correct unions?

thanks in advance
    I'm no expert, but are you planning to use those "NOS" hoses, or use them as patterns for some new ones? They might be "New" but they're still "Old Stock"...
    Last edited by AndrewS; 03-21-2018 at 07:14 AM.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    I'm no expert, but are you planning to use those "NOS" hoses, or usethem aspatterns forsome new ones? They might be "New" but they're still "Old Stock"...
    Old stock, yes, but they are braided steel so I'm not too concerned.

180kmph plus coming into a corner and cow wanders onto the road, you hit the picks and the lever comes to the bar, because the brake fluid has decided to rupture the old rubber and squeeze past the steel braiding. Too late to wonder about whether using old rubber lines because they are original was a good idea. Death beckons. Just my opinion. I change my belts every 4 years as well. Cheap insurance.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Default NOS brake lines...

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    180kmph plus coming into a corner and cow wanders onto the road, you hit the picks and the lever comes to the bar, because the brake fluid has decided to rupture the old rubber and squeeze past the steel braiding. Too late to wonder about whether using old rubber lines because they are original was a good idea. Death beckons. Just my opinion. I change my belts every 4 years as well. Cheap insurance.
    Those were my thoughts as well. By coincidence I'm planning to re-plumb the front brakes on my SP3, using the original splitter, but I'll be using the original (rubber, non-braided) hoses as patterns for modern replacements. as someone on here cautioned me, you can take originality too far...
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    I can safely say that this is never going to happen while I own the bike. It will likely not get ridden under my stewardship.
    Last edited by acace; 03-21-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acace View Post
    I can safely say that this is never going to happen while I own the bike. It will likely not get ridden under my stewardship.
    What a shame, to waste a good bike IMO.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    What a shame, to waste a good bike IMO.

Steve R
    What a shame that a simple question has morphed to this. We each participate in the hobby in our own way. I own many motorcycles and restore show winning bikes as well. I have several early Ducati superbikes because I happen to like them. Unfortunately, I'm at an age where they are no longer comfortable to ride. My Vincent or early Triumphs just suit me better. My collection is fluid, and some day this bike will be sold. The new owner is welcome to change the brake lines and paint the bike purple - I don't care. But for now, I'm enjoying the frustrating, time consuming, and expensive search for missing original parts. This is how I participate, so not a waste IMO.

Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread