+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 851 brake lines/fittings

Gentlemen - thank you all for you comments

Griff - Yes, this is the union (or similar to) I am looking for. As mentioned earlier, I am certain the threaded end of the hose is not 10mmx1 although it IS a 10mm hole. Your fittings show two different conical sizes - I am not sure which would be appropriate. I have attached a photo.

WGS - Indeed, my kit bike is one of the very first ten built. I have taken the hose to a shop that specializes in hydraulic fittings and we did not find anything that worked and they had a very large selection of unions. The closest we found was a British thread (not whitworth). The union threaded most of the way but never locked the hose in place. The NOS hoses I found were actually on the Italian Ebay site. Still sealed in the Cagiva plastic. I think my next step is to try to measure the threads.
    Attached Images

Now Funnily enough I have the same issue with a couple of Mirage fighter (French so itís metric) 3mm engine oil feed lines and a hoses fitting similar to your caliper end, and the second male/male pic I posted. Screws in but does not engage the male bell end in the female by a couple of mm. That is quite possibly what your looking for. The fact is I have no idea where it came from, but it could have been from the bike shop. In which case the probability increases.

Iíll measure it up and let you know what it is. If you can get an inside measurement with a set of vernier calipers, then take a mould with wax or play doh, youíll be able to measure the pitch. Thread gauges make it easier but.
    If theyíre close enough, I can draw it up and you can get some made. You canít have mine as itís just become worth more than bitcoin. And I only have 1
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    If theyíre close enough, I can draw it up and you can get some made. You canít have mine as itís just become worth more than bitcoin. And I only have 1
    Thanks Griff! Seems silly that a $4 part brings a restoration to a grinding halt . . .

It makes the most sense to me that it would be one of the JIC standard threads, #02 is 5/16"-24, #03 is 3/8"-24, and #04 is 7/16"-20. You did try those fittings at the hydraulic shop, right?

Many years ago now, I worked at a bike shop that used to make up Goodridge brake hoses for whatever...
    The ends on your hoses were known as swivel ends and were used in conjunction with adaptors, like the parts that you need.
    These had a thread to suit whatever calipers you were using and then a JIC thread to attach to the swivel on the made up hoses.
    I have the same sort of set up on my '79 900SS bevel*, back then we thought this was superior to plain banjo fittings.
    *I've got AP Lockheed calipers with an adjustable ratio AP Lockheed Mastercylinder, with complete Stainless Steel Goodridge hoses on the "Old Nail", they've worked a treat for almost 40 years now!

Steve R

Sounds like we may be narrowing the threads to JIC - seems plausible anyway.
    WGS - I don't remember if we tried that at the shop, but could have been the "weird British thread" he tried.

Some further research also shows that part number on an F1 Montjuich! I had a Laguna Seca a while back and don't remember the bike having those fittings.

Steve, Yes, I've been using Goodridge components to make hoses for years now, all top quality stuff. I'm sure they make that mystery part.

acace, FYI, I order my Goodridge parts thru Carolina Racing Supply.
    http://www.carolinaracingsupply.com/index.asp

Opps, I see now that Falloon says that the production '87 Santamonica F1 did come with braided steel brake lines. Well, what ever, Ducati is now pretending like those adapter parts never existed - just banjo bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post

acace, FYI, I order my Goodridge parts thru Carolina Racing Supply.
    http://www.carolinaracingsupply.com/index.asp
    Many thanks WGS - time to make a few phone calls.

My adaptor is M10x1mm pitch both ends. which is standard for fit into a caliper.
    Attached is to UNF thread chart. JIC is a standard not a thread and changes to UNC at dash 17. Where dash is 16ths. -3 =3/16, -4=4/16 etc. also a BSPP (straight not tapered), as you can see 1/8 is 9.6mm
    I had a look at the goodridge catalog attached is what they have.
    You really need an inside thread diameter to know what your dealing with when you talk to the guy at Goodridge.
    The other people would be Earls, as Earls and Goodridge are not compatible.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread