+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 851 brake lines/fittings

Default 851 brake lines/fittings

I am restoring a kit bike and removing aftermarket braided brake lines and colorful anodized fittings to replace with original hoses. I have sourced an NOS set of front brake lines but am having a difficult time finding the union between the hose and caliper/distribution block. The threads on the caliper side are 10mm x1, but I have not been able to determine the thread on the hose side. It have tried 10x1, 10x1.25 and 10x1.5 unions but none thread correctly. Does anyone know what the hose threads are? Better still, where I might find correct unions?

thanks in advance

Should be M10x1.0. Is it possible the original manifold block was changed with the aftermarket hoses? Correct parts are still available thru a Ducati shop. Manifold # 079654174 and banjo bolt # 81540011A.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by wgsvintage; 03-06-2018 at 06:13 PM.

The third hole on the manifold is for the 079654116 brake light switch, also available.

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    The third hole on the manifold is for the 079654116 brake light switch, also available.
    Thank you for your reply. The brake lines and manifold on a kit bike are considerably different from a Strada, 888, etc. The manifold only has three holes and the hoses do not have standard ends that accommodate a banjo bolt. The attached photograph shows the hose and its fitting to a caliper. The fitting on the manifold end is the same. I am looking for the union between the hose and the caliper. Five required. Ducati part number is 81540011A. Maybe Brembo has a p/n for this?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by acace View Post
    Ducati part number is 81540011A.
    The Kit parts manual drawing (TAV. 20) and the part numbers listed for TAV. 20 drawing do not agree. That p/n you show (and from the Kit parts manual) is for the banjo bolt shown in my post above. I can't find any other Ducati brake hoses that didn't use the banjo bolt set up, except those early Tricolors. Maybe for liability reasons they went right back to banjo bolts. Possibly this "union" is the part you want? Both ends are male M10x1.0.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Fasteners-Kits/Union/

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    The Kit parts manual drawing (TAV. 20) and the part numbers listed for TAV. 20 drawing do not agree. That p/n you show (and from the Kit parts manual) is for the banjo bolt shown in my post above. I can't find any other Ducati brake hoses that didn't use the banjo bolt set up, except those early Tricolors. Maybe for liability reasons they went right back to banjo bolts. Possibly this "union" is the part you want? Both ends are male M10x1.0.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Fasteners-Kits/Union/
    My kit bike is one of the very earliest and uses those hoses in the photograph. I noticed that the part number I mentioned was the same one you mentioned after I posted. You are correct, I need the union. I have determined that the hose ends are not 10mmx1 so the Bevel Heaven union will not work. I have tried 10x1.25 and 10.5 as well, but nothing seems to thread correctly or deep enough to lock the fitting to the union.

As best as I can now research, the 851 Tricolors were the first production Ducatis to use braided steel brake lines. The '88 Kit, Strada, and Lucchinelli Replica's all used the non-banjo type hoses like yours. The '89's then went with banjo bolt type hoses, and they never looked back, so no parts support except what was on hand. Me and my buddy Mike, who has taken over the ownership/rebuild/restoration of the pre-production 851 Kit Adamo race bike are very interested in your brake line project. Mike thought he had an old set of those brake lines, but they didn't turn up. We are thinking now that the female fittings on the hose ends are a JIC type fitting. You may need to take your hose to a good hydraulic shop or a good auto parts store to see if you can find a known male fitting that fits it properly. I'm now guessing you'll need a fitting something like the one in the Goodridge link below. Can you post a good close up picture of the inside of your female hose end? That might help identify it. Where did you find a set of those old hoses? Good score!

https://www.goodridge.co.uk/products...nt=34153353863

Do they look like these?
    The bottom has been cut off the fit in an 08 caliper.
    Attached Images
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Or this type with female?
    Last edited by griff851; 03-07-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Thanks Griff, but as I understand it, something like what you show is the missing part. One end has to be male M10x1.0, but we're not sure what the hose end of it is.

+ Reply to Thread