+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1992 888 Corsa Value?

Default 1992 888 Corsa Value?

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but there has been a 1992 888 Corse for sale on eBay US for about a month now. It appears to be for sale by Tri City Auto Gallery in Colorado and they are asking $54,700 for it. I am sure many of you have probably seen this bike or sale and was wondering about what you all feel about the value of this bike or this model in general? There isn't much of a description of the bike so I don't know any of the history but it appears to be in decent shape from the pictures.
    Last edited by Brilloman; 02-01-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Doesn't seem absurd, but the fact that it has been available so long pretty much tells you the price is optimistic. It's a very cool machine, but i think it's a narrow market--to bring big money, people will always prefer the bikes that were actually raced and have a provenance.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

This Corse was bought new from the factory by a collector who took it to the track only once- just for a few laps.

A friend of mine bought it and had it gone through by another friend of mine who has been wrenching on Ducati's and all types of Italian bikes in his shop for many decades. It is a very original Customer Racing. You could put it on the track.

My friend put up a few of the bikes in his collection up for sale and this Corse was obtained by the current seller.

It has no race history but it is very original.

I agree with nine16 about how narrow the 888 Corse market is. I own six -- four with well-known race history and two bitsa's used for track days. It has been my passion since the mid '90's. I doubt if I could sell any of them no matter how low a price I set on them --- there is just no market for them in the US. What is heating up is the buying and selling of the later Corse's, SPs, and R versions.

Quote Originally Posted by nine16 View Post
    Doesn't seem absurd, but the fact that it has been available so long pretty much tells you the price is optimistic. It's a very cool machine, but i think it's a narrow market--to bring big money, people will always prefer the bikes that were actually raced and have a provenance.
    That's a great point. At the Mecum auction last week the bikes that had history or were attached to a famous rider brought 30-40% more than similar bikes that did not.
    Last edited by Brilloman; 02-01-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    This Corse was bought new from the factory by a collector who took it to the track only once- just for a few laps.

A friend of mine bought it and had it gone through by another friend of mine who has been wrenching on Ducati's and all types of Italian bikes in his shop for many decades. It is a very original Customer Racing. You could put it on the track.

My friend put up a few of the bikes in his collection up for sale and this Corse was obtained by the current seller.

It has no race history but it is very original.

I agree with nine16 about how narrow the 888 Corse market is. I own six -- four with well-known race history and two bitsa's used for track days. It has been my passion since the mid '90's. I doubt if I could sell any of them no matter how low a price I set on them --- there is just no market for them in the US. What is heating up is the buying and selling of the later Corse's, SPs, and R versions.
    I guess I'm one of the people in that narrow market who would like to own that bike. I worked with Steven Mathews when he got his Corse back in 92-93 and I liked that bike so much I bought a 94 888 LTD a few years later which I still own today. I do appreciate the bike for what it is and would like to have it but I couldn't justify that kind of money for it. I'm not a road racer in fact I'm not much of a road rider at all. I am much more of an avid off road rider but I love motorcycles in general. At $35k I would be all over it to have it sitting in the man cave.

Brilloman-

" At $35k I would be all over it to have it sitting in the man cave."

Now that I have a big garage-- my wife no longer allows any bikes in the house.

I was able to pass on the SP2 to a new caretaker this past summer----after many years of putting it up for sale. Will take much longer to sell each of my Corse's.

What model Corse do you picture in your man cave?
    Attached Images

You have bikes enough to start your own team.

Henk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    You have bikes enough to start your own team.

Henk!!!
    Henk----

Well --three of the bikes were on Ferracci's '90, '91,'93 AMA teams and one was on one of his Customer's '94 AMA team.

The two Bitsa Corse's I built were on my-----"go to the track and do not crash team"

Every time I look at that picture I have to wipe the drool off of my shirt! Outstanding collection of Factory built racers Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Brilloman View Post
    Every time I look at that picture I have to wipe the drool off of my shirt! Outstanding collection of Factory built racers Sir!

Thank you-- Getting to that time where I need to pass them on. if you ever want to buy a Corse for your man cave PM me.

+ Reply to Thread