+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starter System Cables

Default Starter System Cables

I have just fitted a set of starter cables to my 851 SP2 from ExactStart. I thought I'd post this entry as a kit for the 851 SP2 will shortly be available. I'd heard good things about these kits so I contacted Stu at ExactStart (www.exact-start.com) as a kit for my bike wasn't listed. Stu got me to measure my existing leads (Earth lead from battery, +ve lead to solenoid and lead from solenoid to starter motor) and then got a set of cables made for my bike. These duly arrived and after discussing a slight modification to the Earth lead, the kit was fitted and all works well. The Earth Cable and +ve lead to the solenoid 'piggy back' the existing cables, the solenoid to starter cable is a replacement with replacement stainless steel nuts for attachment). The service and comms from Stuart was excellent and as mentioned above, very shortly he will be offering a kit for 851 SP2. If you go to the UK Ducati Forum and search for ExactStart you will be able to see feedback from other Ducati owners who have fitted such kits.

Quote Originally Posted by nichosk View Post
    I have just fitted a set of starter cables to my 851 SP2 from ExactStart. I thought I'd post this entry as a kit for the 851 SP2 will shortly be available. I'd heard good things about these kits so I contacted Stu at ExactStart (www.exact-start.com) as a kit for my bike wasn't listed. Stu got me to measure my existing leads (Earth lead from battery, +ve lead to solenoid and lead from solenoid to starter motor) and then got a set of cables made for my bike. These duly arrived and after discussing a slight modification to the Earth lead, the kit was fitted and all works well. The Earth Cable and +ve lead to the solenoid 'piggy back' the existing cables, the solenoid to starter cable is a replacement with replacement stainless steel nuts for attachment). The service and comms from Stuart was excellent and as mentioned above, very shortly he will be offering a kit for 851 SP2. If you go to the UK Ducati Forum and search for ExactStart you will be able to see feedback from other Ducati owners who have fitted such kits.
    Do the cables make much difference to the way your SP2 starts? I have a set on my 1198S and they are well worthwhile, but I've never had any issues with my SP3 turning over on the OEM leads. Quite agree with your comments about Stu - excellent service and a good product (no connection, just a satisfied customer).
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Whats the kit cost??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack888 View Post
    Whats the kit cost??
    All the information is on Stu's website - http://www.exact-start.com/
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Question please, Would their be a difference with a kit suitable for my bike Sp4?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RWG View Post
    Question please, Would their be a difference with a kit suitable for my bike Sp4?
    Cheers
    I'm afraid I'm unsure if it would fit a SP4 as I've never seen a SP4 with the fairing removed! However, I'd be happy to share the photos of the cables fitted to my bike (some of these will be included in the fitting instructions for the kit) and the lengths of the cables as I specified them to Stu at ExactStart if that would be helpful. Not sure how I load photos to the forum so I could email them if I fail to upload photo - let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by nichosk View Post
    I'm afraid I'm unsure if it would fit a SP4 as I've never seen a SP4 with the fairing removed! However, I'd be happy to share the photos of the cables fitted to my bike (some of these will be included in the fitting instructions for the kit) and the lengths of the cables as I specified them to Stu at ExactStart if that would be helpful. Not sure how I load photos to the forum so I could email them if I fail to upload photo - let me know.
    When you reply to a post, click Go Advanced and you should get a dialogue box in which you can manage attachments...
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    When you reply to a post, click Go Advanced and you should get a dialogue box in which you can manage attachments...
    Thanks, I'll give that a go but I've also had a response from Stu at ExactStart regarding SP4 fitment that I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack888 View Post
    Whats the kit cost??
    I emailed Stu regarding the cost of the kit. He advised that it will retail for 79.95 however, he is prepared to do 'pre-orders' for a 15% discount (67.95) with a PayPal Friends and Family payment. This includes first class 'signed for' delivery. As with the comment made by Andrew S earlier in this post, I am not connected to ExactStart in any way, I'm just a very satisfied (delighted) customer and super impressed with the level of customer service and comms provided

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Do the cables make much difference to the way your SP2 starts? I have a set on my 1198S and they are well worthwhile, but I've never had any issues with my SP3 turning over on the OEM leads. Quite agree with your comments about Stu - excellent service and a good product (no connection, just a satisfied customer).
    I believe it does make a difference but I didn't do a 'side by side' comparison so this is only a 'feeling'. I'd say its not a 'marked' difference but I did only start it once since fitting the leads. I will go in the garage this weekend and try another couple of starts to confirm the 'feeling'. The main reason I pursued getting a kit was more of an insurance policy. I wanted to try to avoid as much as I could issues that I had read about with the sprag clutch due to underpowered starting. Therefore by always ensuring I have a battery in top health and eliminating any potential loss of electrical power getting to the starter by fitting these leads I hope I will avoid sprag clutch mechanical mayhem.

+ Reply to Thread