+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cars and other crap

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    Sherpa-- The RS's were/are great 911 to drive. I had a few 911's from '72 until '90, and one Italian car which I still own. The 911's back then handled like a blunt instrument and the Italian car like a blade. I took my '69 on the track many times - lifting the inside wheel was a hoot. As you say-- the prices for the real RS- be they the Light Weight or the Touring are now into the stratosphere.

Here are a few pictures you may find interesting -- as you can see from my small house I spent most of my money through the years on machines. I had a very narrow garage so I made due. I also restored my Italian car in that narrow garage. I built a shed off my back porch to restore and paint my bikes. Now that I have retired and live in the mountains- I finally have the big garage I always wanted.
    Stratosphere is right. Here is the auction link to my car from when I sold it in 2015. It's still a world record for a Series 3 Touring: https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctio...touring/181667

I love your Dino. I've seen it on Fchat. I used to own a 365GTB/4 of similar vintage but I no longer have it. In the end, I sold everything except the cars that really spoke to me (sounds dumb, I know): my 1990 F40, my 2002 manual 360/CS bitsa car, and my 2007 F430 60th anniversary car.

I owned some severely spectacular cars on my way to these three but these are the only ones that I really felt do exactly what they're supposed to do better than anything else.

[QUOTE= my 1990 F40, my 2002 manual 360/CS bitsa car, and my 2007 F430 60th anniversary car.

I owned some severely spectacular cars on my way to these three but these are the only ones that I really felt do exactly what they're supposed to do better than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words about my Dino-- we have been together for over 41 years.

NO!-- it does not sound Dumb-- all machines speak to me- the ones which remain with me continue to speak the sweetest.

A bit of an understatement when speaking about those three cars--each is an amazing, amazing machine. Pretty staggering actually, that you have all three in your garage. As I recall you drive and enjoy your F40-- very cool! Do you still track your CS? An F430 60A has to be a great car to spend hours in just driving- to nowhere.

Understand what you are saying about how certain machines speak to your passion in such a way that you no longer feel the need to explore others. Of the cars I have owned and spent hours making my own- only the Dino and the '61 cab remain. Each give me maximum grins in completely different ways.

My real passion is motorcycles- riding gives me full freedom of body and soul. The 851/888 street bikes and most of all- the Corse's- captured my full attention/passion early on. Before my retirement my SP2 and some sort of Sport/Touring BMW for on the street and my restored Corse's for the track.

Now that I have retired and have the big garage and paint booth I always dreamed of-- I have been able to go in all different directions in addition to restoring my last two Corses. I even now have a bike lift- do not know how I built bikes without one.

A 1941 Indian Four, a 1946 Indian Chief, a rebuilt/salvage D16, a BMW R1200RT wethead, and a 2008 Confederate Wraith now join the 1969 BMW /2 "conversion" and a number of Corses in the garage. Sadly I let the SP2 go on to a new Caretaker.

The Indians meet needs I never knew I had-- The Wraith is a crazy crazy bike which is a hoot to ride in the mountains. Will ride as long as I am able

Mark, don't you miss that R90S?

Yes, the F40 and the 360 have both seen the track but I'm pretty judicious about which tracks and how many people are on there, for obvious reasons. Most of the tracking that I do these days are with my kart. It keeps my skills sharp and is very easy to do as my kart lives at the track, which is near my office.

I love my little collection of motorcycles as much as my cars. When I was a teenager, it was the Ducati 916 that ignited my lust for motorcycles in a whole new way. Before I made enough money to get sweet cars, I bought a gently laid down 748 and rebuilt it. I had to give up motorcycles for a few years but now that I've come back to them, I feel very reconnected with that gear head kid inside.

On another note, there is nothing like connecting with the machinery of our passions with dialing in, restoring, building, and using.

My issue now is that, like you back in the day, instead of spending my money on serious garage, I've spent it on machinery and so now with three cars and seven motorcycles, I'm out of room!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    Thank you for your kind words about my Dino-- we have been together for over 41 years.

NO!-- it does not sound Dumb-- all machines speak to me- the ones which remain with me continue to speak the sweetest.

A bit of an understatement when speaking about those three cars--each is an amazing, amazing machine. Pretty staggering actually, that you have all three in your garage. As I recall you drive and enjoy your F40-- very cool! Do you still track your CS? An F430 60A has to be a great car to spend hours in just driving- to nowhere.

Understand what you are saying about how certain machines speak to your passion in such a way that you no longer feel the need to explore others. Of the cars I have owned and spent hours making my own- only the Dino and the '61 cab remain. Each give me maximum grins in completely different ways.

My real passion is motorcycles- riding gives me full freedom of body and soul. The 851/888 street bikes and most of all- the Corse's- captured my full attention/passion early on. Before my retirement my SP2 and some sort of Sport/Touring BMW for on the street and my restored Corse's for the track.

Now that I have retired and have the big garage and paint booth I always dreamed of-- I have been able to go in all different directions in addition to restoring my last two Corses. I even now have a bike lift- do not know how I built bikes without one.

A 1941 Indian Four, a 1946 Indian Chief, a rebuilt/salvage D16, a BMW R1200RT wethead, and a 2008 Confederate Wraith now join the 1969 BMW /2 "conversion" and a number of Corses in the garage. Sadly I let the SP2 go on to a new Caretaker.

The Indians meet needs I never knew I had-- The Wraith is a crazy crazy bike which is a hoot to ride in the mountains. Will ride as long as I am able

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    Mark, don't you miss that R90S?
    Bill-- No- not really. I miss the look and idea of it more than the riding experience. I bought the R90S new in 1975 after I rode a Suzuki 500 Titan from VA to CA and back-- went right to the BMW dealer and bought the Daytona Orange one right off the floor for a discount of $300 because no other customer wanted the orange.

The 90S is the only bike I ever bought new off the showroom floor.

I kept it until '95 - but to tell you the truth, no matter what fancy San Jose parts I installed, I was never very happy with the way it handled or braked. It was a great wide open road touring bike or double up bike with my wife. It did not help that I had a MHR at the same time which highlighted the weak points in the 90S's braking/handling- I eventually wanted a more capable sport-touring bike. My next mistake was buying a Red/yellow K1-- it braked much better but it was top heavy I could never confidently push the bike hard- plus the wind buffeting was horrible for my short 5'8". I got a K1200RS which did everything I wanted but I eventually sold it because I would come back from a track day and get stupid on that 650 lb bike.

So I built a BMW /2 Conversion back in 2005 which pushes all the right Air-cooled buttons. It has an R80 motor with Dell'Ortos along with a TD2 four leading shoe front brake. The bike is wonderful-- much much better than the R90S in all ways.
    Attached Images

For sure they're quirky and none too perfect, but mine's a long ways from stock and has always been very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    For sure they're quirky and none too perfect, but mine's a long ways from stock and has always been very enjoyable.
    Bill-- my apology if you took my dissatisfaction with my R90s as a hit against any owner who loves their's. I am sure many R90s owners cannot understand my love of a conversion /2.

Oops, sorry if my post sounded that way Mark, not what I meant to imply at all. You have a very interesting garage, and it's always fun to hear about.

+ Reply to Thread