+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cars and other crap

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    Henk-

Marvin and I both agree that we are getting to the end of our big project days-- I was happy to see Marvin finish this 944 considering all of the curves the project threw at him.

As is the norm-- we towed this 944 home on my trailer with the hopes that the seller was honest. As Marvin found out- he had more fixing to do then he was led to believe. This is what makes big projects very big projects.

Henk- you expressed an interest in 356's. This mongrel '61 cab with '65 drive train and brakes is my daily driver up here in the mountains. I built it out of spare parts I had 30 years ago for autocross.

Before Corse Ducati's I was heavy into restoring 356's back in the '70 and '80's- I had restored 13 of them when they were cheap. I was big into the early split window 356's and wrote about them in the 356 club magazine.

My wife and I took this cab on our honeymoon 27 years ago-- it was a cold ride for her since I never installed the heater boxes- just straight headers.

These days 356's are stupid money and the new owners are afraid to drive them- I feel sorry for them because they are fun simple cars-- and if you build them up like I did with this cab they rock. I wear out a set of Hoosier semi-slick racing tires every two years on these roads.

I built this '58 sunroof coupe for my wife as a wedding present and it is great to see the grin she has when she is driving.

As you notice- they are both the same color off white rather than the shade white they were originally painted-I had a few gallons of this color at the time so I sprayed both of them in the backyard to save money.

I always have loved those 356.and like every one the speedster is my favorite.
    Think i have to blame kelly mcgillis fir this,with here black speedster in top gun. 😆
    But they are WAY out of my reach now.
    Gonna have to stick with my beetle and splitbus i guess.
    13 cars,amazing!and now the corse bikes.
    If you looking to adopt somebody,i'm candidate.😉
    Can't see your pictures by the way.

Henk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I always have loved those 356.and like every one the speedster is my favorite.
    Think i have to blame kelly mcgillis fir this,with here black speedster in top gun. 😆
    But they are WAY out of my reach now.
    Gonna have to stick with my beetle and splitbus i guess.
    13 cars,amazing!and now the corse bikes.
    If you looking to adopt somebody,i'm candidate.😉
    Can't see your pictures by the way.

Henk!!!
    '

Henk--- split window bus's are raising in value fast-- going the way of the 356 because of the cool factor. Funny-- I do not see the pictures which I put with my post-weird. I had a rust free Speedster for about 30 years but it was not as fun to drive as this '61 cab I built in the '80's out of spare parts for autocross racing. I had a friend who used to bug me monthly about buying the Speedster so I finally let it go-- just before the prices tripled and went stupid. Oh well. My wife and I even took the '61 on our honeymoon 28 years ago.
    Attached Images

Nice with the fuchs wheels.
    Even the priced off the fuchs wheels is out of control.
    I have 4,5 fuchs wheels on the front off my beetle and 6 deep dish for the back.
    Those wheels are more worth no then the car self.😀
    I stil would sell my cars i have know for a 356 or early 911.

Henk!!!

Sally Hyde in "Coming Home" got one for pretty cheap...
    Attached Images

Default fuchs wheels

I have a spare set of 6j x 15" and a pair of 7j x 16 if you need them

I love those fuchs wheels would love to have a set for my bus as well.
    Shame your on the other side off the world.

Henk!!!

Speaking of early 911's, I am more of an Italian guy myself having cut my teeth on 308 and 328 GTBs but a few years ago I had a perfect (literally perfect) 1973 2.7 RS that was a pretty special car. It was a German delivery car that found its way to Japan and as they like to do in Japan, they painted the damn thing white. Well, it came back here and the guy who brought it realized that it still had all of the original bits and had never even had the slightest sort of collision to it and so he undertook a massive restoration. When it was done, he was too afraid to drive it so he sold it.

After going over it with a fine toothed comb (as I don't trust any 911 from 1969 to 1989 to be as represented) and not finding one thing off with it, I bought it. I put over 1000 miles on it in a year and dialed in everything that it needed because no one ever dialed it in after it was put back together. That Kugelfischer MFI injection system was interesting. After about 18 months and getting it to run as well as it looked, one of the auction houses called and begged me to put in their sale. I realized that these things were getting VERY expensive right about then. After a fair amount of resistance, I consigned it to them and said good bye. That was a great car but for the prices they go for these days, I don't think I'll own another one. The garage is too full of Italian stuff anyway.
    Last edited by Sherpa23; 03-10-2018 at 10:32 AM.

As i can't afford no porsche anymore,i have to make my splitbus porsche related then.
    Has porsche teledials now and will have "porsche rothmans"on both sides painted.
    And the rothmans logo on the front.

Henk!!!
    Attached Images

Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23 View Post
    Speaking of early 911's, I am more of an Italian guy myself having cut my teeth on 308 and 328 GTBs but a few years ago I had a perfect (literally perfect) 1973 2.7 RS that was a pretty special car.
    Sherpa-- The RS's were/are great 911 to drive. I had a few 911's from '72 until '90, and one Italian car which I still own. The 911's back then handled like a blunt instrument and the Italian car like a blade. I took my '69 on the track many times - lifting the inside wheel was a hoot. As you say-- the prices for the real RS- be they the Light Weight or the Touring are now into the stratosphere.

Here are a few pictures you may find interesting -- as you can see from my small house I spent most of my money through the years on machines. I had a very narrow garage so I made due. I also restored my Italian car in that narrow garage. I built a shed off my back porch to restore and paint my bikes. Now that I have retired and live in the mountains- I finally have the big garage I always wanted.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread