+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Top End Refresh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Most of the 851/888 gaskets are exactly the same as the later 916 items, that Cometic have listed.
    You'll probably need to know the size of the gaskets that you require.

Steve R
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    I called Cometic and they said the only gasket they had that would work was a 96mm bore head gasket (PN= C8564) My bores are 94mm so I called Athena Gaskets US and they have a 94mm top end kit made to Ducati OEM specs (head gasket is 1mm thick)
    I find it odd that you cannot order the correct head gaskets from Cometic. Many of us have purchased gaskets multiple times from them. Here’s a link to an older thread that contains part numbers for said gaskets. http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...88-Head-Gasket

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by got2Lev8 View Post
    I find it odd that you cannot order the correct head gaskets from Cometic. Many of us have purchased gaskets multiple times from them. Here’s a link to an older thread that contains part numbers for said gaskets. http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...88-Head-Gasket

Robert
    Yeah, I called Cometic directly so I only know what they told me (maybe I talked to the ‘wrong guy’??)
    I already ordered an Athena Top End kit from Brooks Barn in England (PN- P400110600888/1) so hopefully it all fits together properly. Now I just need to sort out my MBP/valve stem lock groove problem and I should be good to go. Thanks for your help though.
    Last edited by BTD; 12-20-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Update- I ended up buying some used valves with the deeper collet grooves so I can now use the MPB retainers instead of the stock wire ones. I’ve been researching valve clearances and was wondering if the same specs are recommended for MBP retainers versus stock retainers? I realize the MBPs are harder and extend future valve adjustments but I’m wondering if people set clearances on stock retainers expecting them to ‘crush’ a tiny bit?

PS. $38 bucks for 8 Suzuki GS650 friction discs from eBay!! Thx again Steve R
    Last edited by BTD; 02-25-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Valve clearances are for cam timing and thermal expansion to ensure correct running clearance on bearing surfaces. Just set as normal.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread