+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 888 sp4, Buy or not to buy...?

Default 888 sp4, Buy or not to buy...?

Hello guys!
    I`m not a new member of this forum. I found it 7 years ago. I want to remaind you my first problem:
    http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...3632#post33632

I wanted to buy 888 but I bought... 999R MY 2005. It`s a great bike, so agressive and powerful and beautiful. I still have ss1000ds Senna MY 2004 and ss900 MY 2002 as a track bike. I also had 996 biposto but I sold it a few months ago.
    I still think of 888, not a Strada but sp4 (eventually sp5) or Superlight MK1. As regards SL, I know almost everything about it because I had SS750 MY 1992 and SS900 MY 1996 but I`ve never had a chance to ride 888 sp. Could anyone of you can compare it to 999 or 996? I heard that It`s a beast and it is able to fight with newer bikes but can I get a satisfaction of riding it not only looking at it? Ii is 25 years old...
    Thanks in advance for answers!!!

Marcin

"I heard that It`s a beast and it is able to fight with newer bikes"

a beast yes , but honesty , to fight , no , I do not think so . On track certainly not and on roads , I find the SP4 heavier to move compared to a 996 or 999 , position is also way more unconfortable compared to 999 .

999R + SP4 would be a great combo to me , both very desirable bikes
    I am not willing to sell mine because I did a lot of things on it but I miss the modernity of a Panigale or the engine of the 996R or 998R

Fab

Hi Marcin,

At one time I had a 996s SL1 & SL5 & my SP3, I sold them all and just have the SP3, it is personal taste but I just enjoy the 888 more than the others, nicer riding position compared to the 996, I don't find it a handful and although the 900 2v is a lovely motor the SL is just a wannabe when compared to an SP model 888. The SP is an experience like no other, the motor is strong but not ridiculous and the handling is great my favorite thing is the induction noise though, gets me every time :-) Just my opinion obviously!
    "The bike I would like to have in my personal museum is a Ducati 888, the last one before the 916. This is the best Ducati, the 916 is elegant but the 888 is the best. Massimo Bordi

Your comment ..........."I heard that It`s a beast and it is able to fight with newer bikes"

No it is a 25 year old design................. it is off it,s time. I have a Panigale 1199S now , I resisted for a long time as I like my classics.........but WOW !!!!!. Nothing prepared me for that first ride. The development is going so fast , even 5 years is a big difference.

I personally think the SP4 is the best of all of the SP,s , I have 4 of them , but I love them for a number of reasons..........not because they can fight with newer bikes. I hope this has not burst your bubble. Buy one if you can find one at a reasonable price , you will not be disappointed.....

I also agree the riding position for my 5ft 9 inch frame is spot on and way better than the 916-998 range of bikes (I have some of those as well).

I use to do test rides for a shop on Saturdays selling and during the week workshop jobs. I finished at 1098’s. I have likes and dislikes. Not fond of Pantah’s, Paso’s, S2r’s, Deavil, late model 900 and 750ss’s, 748,799,999,Gt1000, St3’s and god damn Multistrada’s.
    Each has a technical, ridability, or aesthetic reason that stands out.
    Who in the hell finds joy in getting a Mulitsrada fairing off. The Italians in the 99 series found a new way to heat up your legs. The GT 1000 is way to comfortable. St3 is a cow to do the vertical cylinder exh shims. Paso, what the hell were they thinking the world needed? The Paso is something thought up after a night on piss, while going through a divorce. Not much else explains its excistance.
    748’s are too heavy on my shoulders. 900ss and 750ss seem under powered. Pantah are underpowered and cramp.
    The 851/888 series has rawness to them. Lifting to race spec really brings it out. The 996 has a bigger bike feel making it seem more stable to handle the more brutal nature of the power delivery. The 851/888’s are lighter and more nimble in comparison. The 999’s, apart from the hot leg failure, do have a very nice feeling of riding on rails and nice powerful braking. 848’s I found a bit souless, 1098’s and 848’s have technically clever feel thing going on, but I could never get that at one with the machine thing, it’s like your sitting on it, not in it. The 1098 also was just starting to get too stupidly powerful for the road and a bastard at slow speed. The best bike for the sitting effect would be the 2000 and something monster 1100. The “Tron” sort of business but in a naked machine.
    Of coarse a 30 year old bike is not going to be as good as a newer similar size machine, but given a good state of tune, it will certainly put the Willy’s up them.
    But these are just my thoughts, I love s good twin bevel drive SS. The only way to tell really, is to get on one, ride it and see if it’s your cup of tea, as with all of them.
    Last edited by griff851; 11-08-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Hi Marcin

Just my 2p worth...

I own an SP3, like it a lot and hope not to sell in the near (or distant!) future. As others have said, it's got character and if I'm honest it has enough power for the road (although I don't think there's any way it will keep up with a modern superbike). Griff said "The 1098 also was just starting to get too stupidly powerful for the road and a bastard at slow speed. " - I also have an 1198S and that's even "worse" (if indeed worse is the right word...). I do however find the newer bike more comfortable - I'm 6ft 1in and the SP3 is just plain cramped. I think the main problem for me is that the tank is too wide, almost like an IL4 in that respect and I con't get my knees high enough (of course being old and a bit unfit doesn't help!). A few years ago I had a 916 as well as the SP3, I found even that more comfortable than the SP3.

All that sounds a bit negative for the SP3; it's not meant to be,it's a great bike and for me, a keeper.

Andrew
    Last edited by AndrewS; 11-08-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Thanks people for your answers!!
    As a metter of fact I don`t need a bike to fight with any other newer bike, don`t get me wrong. I have 999R that is sooo crazy that I need no other faster bike.
    My first ducati was ss750 MY 1992 and since then I`ve dreamed of 888 sp4 because it`s very similar to ss and it was top model of Ducati at that time.
    You gave me a few interesting comparisons and I will give you mine.
    999R is brutal and so powerful bike, every time I accelerate, I say "f..k".
    SS 1000- I adore this bike, I love the engine that has a nice torque even from 2000 rpm. It`s a very nice bike in everyday use. The consumption is really low.
    996- I didn`t like this bike because in comparison with 999R it was too polite. It was able to show his anger above 7000 rpm, below it was so-so and in low it was really hard to drive especially in a trafiic jam. Of course it was beautifull...
    Which of these three bike is the most similar to 888 sp4, in your opinion. I hope it`s not 996

Quote Originally Posted by duke75 View Post
    Which of these three bike is the most similar to 888 sp4, in your opinion. I hope it`s not 996
    The SP give you the Woahaaaa feeling due to the sound and experience but the motor is a desmo 4v so it is a similar experience, best thing to do is ride one, the moment I sat on my SP I knew it was a special bike and haven't regretted my decision to sell the others once. If you want a bike to ride on occasion that gives you the soundtrack of racing back in the day and the feeling of riding a 2 wheel Ferrari then the SP is the best bike you can do it on, made in the last days of history when minimal fucks were given to noise and emissions, it is pretty much a race bike of its day with lights on, and all the better for it! bleddy loves them I do!!
    "The bike I would like to have in my personal museum is a Ducati 888, the last one before the 916. This is the best Ducati, the 916 is elegant but the 888 is the best. Massimo Bordi

Quote Originally Posted by duke75 View Post
    Thanks people for your answers!!
    As a metter of fact I don`t need a bike to fight with any other newer bike, don`t get me wrong. I have 999R that is sooo crazy that I need no other faster bike.
    My first ducati was ss750 MY 1992 and since then I`ve dreamed of 888 sp4 because it`s very similar to ss and it was top model of Ducati at that time.
    You gave me a few interesting comparisons and I will give you mine.
    999R is brutal and so powerful bike, every time I accelerate, I say "f..k".
    SS 1000- I adore this bike, I love the engine that has a nice torque even from 2000 rpm. It`s a very nice bike in everyday use. The consumption is really low.
    996- I didn`t like this bike because in comparison with 999R it was too polite. It was able to show his anger above 7000 rpm, below it was so-so and in low it was really hard to drive especially in a trafiic jam. Of course it was beautifull...
    I haven't ridden a 999R but I'd guess the SP4 etc would be closest to it, maybe a little less aggressive? I think JimmySP has summed it up nicely - the SP bikes are a bit special.

BTW, the SP3 is better looking (not that I'm biased or anything)!!!
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

SP4: Do It

or any 888 sp for that matter

+ Reply to Thread